• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Starting a Limited company: Will having a bad credt rating be a problem?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting a Limited company: Will having a bad credt rating be a problem?

I'm new to contracting and have already completed a few small jobs and more are on the horizon. I'm looking to set up a Limited company but I'm worried that my credit rating is very poor.

Will this affect my ability to open a business bank account? Any other issues I should be worried about?

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by pault107 View Post
    I'm new to contracting and have already completed a few small jobs and more are on the horizon. I'm looking to set up a Limited company but I'm worried that my credit rating is very poor.

Will this affect my ability to open a business bank account? Any other issues I should be worried about?

Thanks in advance.
    Assuming that you are not kidding here... yes it will. Setting up a Business Bank Account whilst having a bad credit rating shows that you are open to money laundering and other financial threats. Especially if you have CCJ's against you. You may want to look at using an Umbrella until your Credit Score improves.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
      Assuming that you are not kidding here... yes it will. Setting up a Business Bank Account whilst having a bad credit rating shows that you are open to money laundering and other financial threats. Especially if you have CCJ's against you. You may want to look at using an Umbrella until your Credit Score improves.
      There is much confusion with some people concerning the difference between Individuals and Limited Companies. I you are worried as an individual about your credit rating then the best way to deal with it is to appoint you mum, dad, GF etc as director and another person as company secretary. As long as you have the majority of shares (51% to 99%) you still own the company and get paid dividends. Once the bank account is opened, wait a few months and add yourself as a director. If you with you can resign the other directors. Job done, you have a company with a bank account. I suggest buy a good book on how to run companies and company law. It will save you a load of hassle.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
        Assuming that you are not kidding here... yes it will. Setting up a Business Bank Account whilst having a bad credit rating shows that you are open to money laundering and other financial threats. Especially if you have CCJ's against you.
        What utter twaddle - your answer implies that a bad credit rating means you are more likely to be become a criminal or fraudster. Rubbish.

I suggest you (OP) go to the bank and make an appointment to see a business manager. Explain your history and explain what type of account you require. If you are straight with them there shouldn't be a problem. Don't expect them to shower you with debit and credit cards at the beginning - that will take time

Comment

Originally posted by Jubber View Post
          I suggest you (OP) go to the bank and make an appointment to see a business manager. Explain your history and explain what type of account you require. If you are straight with them there shouldn't be a problem. Don't expect them to shower you with debit and credit cards at the beginning - that will take time
          WHS + start from the bank where you already have your personal account.

I had some defaults from my student days and had the same concerns as yourself. Went into my bank, spoke to them, explained to them and managed to open the account. (Even if you dont tell them about your credit profile, they will get to know anyway from the credit agencies).

I was told I wont get any credit cards for the first year. But was called from the bank after 9 months and asked to collect the credit card for the company, with liberal credit.

Comment

Originally posted by Jubber View Post
            What utter twaddle - your answer implies that a bad credit rating means you are more likely to be become a criminal or fraudster. Rubbish.
            It does prove you have a history of irresposible financial decisions.

Plan B Co still doesn't have a debit card after a year as they said they'd have to see regular money going in before they'd give us one. And neither me or my fellow director have any credit problems.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Thanks for your advice guys - I will make an appointment with my bank.

Comment

I can’t imagine how your credit rating can be even worse than the average bank’s credit rating.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Possibly returning to the fold

Hi guys,

This thread is also of interest to me. I spent four years, on and off, jobbing at Ford. Unfortunately, contracting wasn't that kind to me and I ended up almost bankrupt after having the contract terminated in the black winter of 2009. Additionally I, too, suffered from making some poor financial decisions and, whilst I have no CCJs, I do have people hounding me for credit clearance. Living to your means is fine while you have those means. When it suddenly goes...

Anyway; I have recently been approached by the contracting agency I had originally worked with. Unless I can open a new business account, there will be no point in pursuing the Ltd company route again. However, this forum (and this thread in particular) have given me the incentive to at least make enquiries. My previous business account was with HSBC, which ran very smoothly. When it all went belly up, I opened a basic bank account with Barclays, following advice that, of all the big banks, it was one of the few that allowed bankrupts to reopen their accounts quickly. As I said; I never took bankruptcy but wanted to prepare for the possibility.

I will therefore approach both HSBC and Barclays this week to see if they will consider opening a business account. If they will allow it, then I will go through the process of registering a company and get the ball rolling again. I intend using the opener that, while I have zero funds and poor credit now, the fastest way for me to improve my income is the contractor route, so I would intend to address the creditors once I am up and running again. This may be hopelessly naive of me but has to be worth a shot.

Steve
                  Last edited by srj999; 26 September 2013, 17:27.

Comment

Working...
                  X