• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

police officers are earning up to £100,000 a year

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like Dundee's already beaten me to it...

I used to have a lot of sympathy for the police. I saw them as doing a very difficult task with scant reward. My attitude changed when I actually required police help and when I saw others who needed it. I saw first hand their attitude and intelligence. This view was confirmed when I did a contract with the police. It remains the only contract from which I have walked. I'm sure there are intelligent, dedicated and sensible police officers. Unfortunately they seem few are far between.

As for pop stars. They aren't paid a wage from public funds. I think Robert Nozick argued this line in his Wilt Chamberlain example.

THE WILT CHAMBERLAIN ARGUMENT
    The Wilt Chamberlain example is supposed to show intuitively that no "patterned" theory of just distribution is defensible: Any distribution which results from free exchanges between persons entitled to their holdings must be just. But free exchanges will always disrupt any favored patterned of distribution. If we have legitimately acquired something, we can dispose of it as we see fit, whatever pattern of distribution results. Some will flourish, some will starve, and this will in turn affect the chances of offspring, etc. But these results, though perhaps undesirable, are not unjust.
    1. Let D1 be a distribution according to your favorite pattern for society S, in which each person has Rn holdings. Let S have 1 million members.
    2. If D1 is just, then each is entitled to Rn.
    3. If each is entitled to Rn, then each may dispose of Rn as she sees fit.
    4. Wilt Chamberlain is a member of S.
    5. Therefore Wilt Chamberlain has Rn.
    6. Suppose each person in S freely contributes .25 of her Rn to Wilt.
    7. Therefore, in the resulting distribution D2, Chamberlain has Rn +$250,000 and every other member of society has Rn-.25.
    8. The distribution in D2 will now * D1.
    9. But D2 resulted from a just initial distribution plus free exchanges.
    10. So D2 is just, but violates the pattern that determined D1.
    Last edited by WageSlave; 22 August 2005, 09:12.
    Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

Originally posted by WageSlave
      Looks like Dundee's already beaten me to it...

I used to have a lot of sympathy for the police. I saw them as doing a very difficult task with scant reward. My attitude changed when I actually required police help and when I saw others who needed it. I saw first hand their attitude and intelligence. This view was confirmed when I did a contract with the police. It remains the only contract from which I have walked. I'm sure there are intelligent, dedicated and sensible police officers. Unfortunately they seem few are far between.

As for pop stars. They aren't paid a wage from public funds. I think Robert Nozick argued this line in his Wilt Chamberlain example.
      For what it's worth, Police overtime and salaries are paid from the Chief Constables budget. Along with Police Pensions!

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill
        For what it's worth, Police overtime and salaries are paid from the Chief Constables budget. Along with Police Pensions!
        From the Chief Constables personal bank account? Or does this fund originate from public funds?

Comment

I earn about 100K a year contracting. What good am I doing? Lining the pockets of financial institutions who make vast amounts of money by putting others in debt.

So police don't deserve to work hard and reap the benefits?

Some of you lot don't know you're born.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
            I was under the impression that the New Labour cracked down on earning good money in civil service in general, and earning good money in police overtime in particular, or is it how they achieved increase in police officers, ie paying more for overtime and then saying its equivalent of hiring X full time police officers?
            The whole point of paying public servants well is to ensure they are above corruption. You may be able to point out one or two cases of corruption but in general terms most western nations dont have the same problems as our middle eastern, asian and lower class countries have with corruption.

Mailman

Comment

From the Chief Constables personal bank account? Or does this fund originate from public funds?
              Nope, some is derived from the council tax we(all?) pay and other amounts from the Home Office.

The first draw every year on the budget is the pension obligation.

HTH.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill
                Nope, some is derived from the council tax we(all?) pay and other amounts from the Home Office.

The first draw every year on the budget is the pension obligation.

HTH.
                So it's all public funds.

I don’t dispute that the police should be well paid. They should. In fact, increasing police pay might attract a higher calibre of applicants. Most of the officers I’ve encountered are indistinguishable from cockney cabbies, and half of them think they’re Dirty Harry; “I’m a copper and I’m well ‘ard!” As for them being able to solve crimes…thank God for forensics. Sherlock Holmes is indeed a work of fiction.

Comment

So it's all public funds.

I don’t dispute that the police should be well paid. They should. In fact, increasing police pay might attract a higher calibre of applicants. Most of the officers I’ve encountered are indistinguishable from cockney cabbies, and half of them think they’re Dirty Harry; “I’m a copper and I’m well ‘ard!” As for them being able to solve crimes…thank God for forensics. Sherlock Holmes is indeed a work of fiction.
                  Ah, but Sherlock Holmes was a contractor. Which proves your point even more.

Comment

Originally posted by Bovvered
                    I earn about 100K a year contracting. What good am I doing? Lining the pockets of financial institutions who make vast amounts of money by putting others in debt.

So police don't deserve to work hard and reap the benefits?

Some of you lot don't know you're born.
                    Erm, suppy and demand? Any numpty can become a policeman or fireman

Usually those jobs with the lowest barriers to entry command low salaries e.g. cleaners burger flippers, so I think the police are doing pretty well!

Moreover, as wageslave hinted most of them are useless.

Comment

Maybe the police should be on commission like sales bods. Basic living salary and then bonuses for succesful prosecutions.
                      Sliding scale of bonuses dependant on the crime commited.
                      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
                      X