• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Guess where is the missing square

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, I'm guilty as charged there F.G

I like to think of myself as a 'reluctant Windows user' though.

Comment

Bob. I am not disputing your maths, though I do disagree. (I have looked at the diagram and see it as Integer measurements). I am assuming you have modified the lengths to fit your hypothetical proper triangle model, which BTW would affect all the angles and make the two sub triangle similar.

What I am asking you is how do you account for the empty square in the second figure?
      You have clearly demonstrated an unshakeable knowledge of the area of each sub shape and the area of the master. You must agree that none of the shapes changes size in any way so the areas remain as constants.
      How do you then explain the hole which is 1 square unit in the second figure which takes the total area of the second figure (allow me to round off here) 33.5 square units?
      Last edited by The Lone Gunman; 22 August 2005, 07:20.
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        Aspergers, anyone?
        Oooh, yes please. Lightly griddled with some olive oil and crushed sea salt. Just a twist of pepper thanks.

Comment

Lone Gunman,

Thank you for your words of praise not withstanding your understandable reservations regarding the newly formed triangle. After the endless barrage of stupid idiotic rantings from MotorMouth it makes a welcome change as I'm sure you might agree.

As I asked Fortune Green a while back. Would you mind dreadfully waiting for MotorMouth to catch up with the 1st triangle before we move onto the re-arranged one ? I don't think it productive anyone else gets embroiled in MotorMouth's deranged rantings. All will be explained to resolution once I can move onto the re-arranged triangle, I promise.
          Last edited by BobTheCrate; 22 August 2005, 09:55.

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver
            I don't dispute that your figures add up to 32.4999 but I find it funny that this does not match the area of the triangle.
            I think most would agree you used many more superlatives than 'funny' to describe my calculations.
            So now your endless ridiculing of my calculations is about a 0.0001 difference ? Is this what all your rantings amount to - a 0.0001 difference ?

Of that 0.0001 difference you said, just to recap :-
            Your figures are obviously incorrect! LOL
            For instance, please explain how you got the figure of 7.3845(?) for the area of the orange shape (other than subtracting your other calculations from 32.5 in an effort to make things add up)?
            Using your (incorrect) measurements you have in fact shown that this shape has an area of 7. Doh!
            You now conceed after a lot of prompting that my 4 areas do add up to 32.4999. That really you found it hilarious that 32.4999 did not match 32.50.

Hence

LOL hahahahahahahaha - when 'proving' your maths you could at least PRETEND it adds up!
            and

Excellent.

I was referring DIMWIT to the fact that your excruciatingly pointless and anal calculations do not even add up to the area of the triangle.
            and

As a rule mathematical 'proofs' don't involve statements like "the figures very nearly add up therefore we can assume they are correct".
            So educate us Oliver. What is your explanation for that 0.0001 difference, or your best guess ?

Then we'll see if it matches my explanation.

And don't try to wriggle out of it by now trying to say you NOW meant all along the re-arranged triangle. We're talking about my geometrically true right angle triangle and you know it. We'll come onto the re-arranged one soon enough.
            Last edited by BobTheCrate; 22 August 2005, 09:51.

Comment

I am happy to wait.

I think you should step back from this and re-evaluate your position.
              You are never going to prove that the 4 sub units, whose areas are invariant, can possibly be manipulated in any way to fit in an area smaller than their sum.
              Which is what you are proposing with diag 2 using your proposed proper triangle with a blank space.
              I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
              Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Working...
              X