• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car review: Proton Saga (2008 model)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car review: Proton Saga (2008 model)

Drove this during my recent holiday in Malaysia.

Well it's more an engine and automatic gearbox review. I think we'd all reject the Saga on looks alone; the car has a design (small saloon) which is intended to appeal to Malaysian taxi drivers in the home market. (But Proton do do other more attractive models, which may have the same parts.)

Anyway, it was a 1.3 litre four speed automatic, and I thought it was superb. Even with four adults and a boot full of luggage, there was no shortage of performance at anything up to motorway speeds. The key is the automatic gearbox. All other automatics I've ever driven would only change down to accelerate under extreme persuasion. The Proton did it almost whenever you tried to accelerate. Example: coming out of roadworks on motorway, bus gets out of way, to accelerate from 60 to 70, gently push accelerator a short distance, nowhere near flooring it, drops into third gear, rev-counter heads rapidly towards 4000rpm, two or three seconds, later with target speed achieved, it changes back into fourth.

All gear changes very fast and smooth. On other automatics I've driven a change in demand just as it's changing gear can catch them out and result in a jolt or clumsy gear change. It didn't happen once with the Proton.

I'm giving a lot of credit to the gearbox, but I'm wondering if the engine should get some as well. I know Lotus had some input into it. (Proton own Lotus now.) I'm not sure if the performance is partially due to the engine punching above it's weight, or totally due to the automatic gear box being willing to work the engine much harder than I used to when I drove 1.3 manuals in the past. (I'm thinking 1980's Mazda 323's, which I remember as very sluggish, and taking forever to get up to motorway speeds, even with only two people in the car.)
    Last edited by IR35 Avoider; 15 July 2008, 15:36.

I've tried a out few autos now and must say I'm becoming a fan - I'm becoming a lazier driver in my old age - next purchase will probably go for one.

Tried a new C4 Picasso last weekend with the auto gearbox + shift paddles - gives you the option of forcing the change for accelerating overtaking etc.
    quite handy that. This one also had *no hand brake* - just a button on the dash which is kind of freaky but very cool as you don't need to disengage when you move off it just does it for you.

Comment

Originally posted by moorfield View Post
      I've tried a out few autos now and must say I'm becoming a fan - I'm becoming a lazier driver in my old age - next purchase will probably go for one.

Tried a new C4 Picasso last weekend with the auto gearbox + shift paddles - gives you the option of forcing the change for accelerating overtaking etc.
      quite handy that. This one also had *no hand brake* - just a button on the dash which is kind of freaky but very cool as you don't need to disengage when you move off it just does it for you.
      Nicole?

Comment

Automatics are for OAPs and fat stupid Americans.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          And for 6+ litre V12 Biturbo Mercs.

Modern autos are fantastic, as long as you have at least 7 speeds and 1000 lb ft of torque.

Comment

My auto (a ZF 6 speed) has 3 settings, normal automatic (D), move the gear lever over into sport mode (S) and there are 2 buttons behind the steering wheel to go into manual mode (M.) All 3 settings are pretty good, in fact I don't think I've ever driven a smoother automatic before and it accelerates damn well (0-60 in 4.6 seconds.)
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Foster Kane View Post
              Nicole?
              Renault?

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              And 4.2SC Range Rovers

Comment

Auto gear boxes are great. But make sure it is covered under a waranty, or be sure to sell your car at the first sign of trouble. They cost ££££ to fix.

Also there are different types of auto gear box around these days (e.g. DSG), and they don't tend to be as reliable as the old 'wet' clutch ones.
                Cats are evil.

Comment

Working...
                X