• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Web Development

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Web Development

I suppose this question should really be posted on the technical forum, although that tends to have a fairly small active membership.

In the view of the esteemed colleagues of the forum, how much work is involved in creating and developing a website? How many people would you expect to be involved in the development, and how many in the subsequent maintenance? Very rough figures, obviously. The website in question would belong to a large London Borough Council.

I have my own assessment but I’d like to double check with the experts before I tell the permies they’re talking crap.

Thanks.
    Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Without more details impossible to say really, you are asking the equivilant of "how long is a piece of string?"

Could be anything from hours, days,months.

If you don't want to post the project details on open board in case it is "recognised" pm it and will give you an estimate timeframe and people needed.
    Last edited by Not So Wise; 4 August 2005, 16:45.

Comment

For a large London borough council ay ?

No more than 3 technical bodies (so one can be ceremoniously dismissed) and approximately 180 officer/managers. Should just about do it.
      Last edited by BobTheCrate; 4 August 2005, 16:51.

Comment

Just outsource it to somebody like ITNet, who do a lot of London borough work. Make it their problem.

Comment

Dont!

ITNET Bunch of muppets with no sense of humour

My last permie job! Left under a cloud, I never looked back

Comment

Originally posted by Mindomoo
            Dont!

ITNET Bunch of muppets with no sense of humour

My last permie job! Left under a cloud, I never looked back
            Ooooh, a bit of controversy - what did you do to upset them?

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
              Ooooh, a bit of controversy - what did you do to upset them?
              Let me guess...

He took a great big dump on the PMs desk?

Was caught back-scuttling the PMs secretary and then took a big dump on the PMs desk?

Couldn't be arsed turning up for work on time?

Comment

Hmmm, could be any of those. I think the clue might lie somewhere within the "they had no sense of humour" bit.

Mindomoo, do you feel quite bitter about your time there? Do you think they just didn't "get you"? Maybe didn't appreciate your erratic genius working methods?

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
                  Hmmm, could be any of those. I think the clue might lie somewhere within the "they had no sense of humour" bit.

Mindomoo, do you feel quite bitter about your time there? Do you think they just didn't "get you"? Maybe didn't appreciate your erratic genius working methods?
                  I reckon he wore his "SandyDown" outfit to work instead of just keeping it for those "special" parties...

Comment

Looking at the state of most council webby's I would say you could do all the code yourself at weekends and evening and bodge together some pictures, hire a cheap designer from abroad to do the gfx if you want to do a really professional job.

Comment

Working...
                    X