• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone got .NET contract with no experience?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually I agree with Hands Free... interviews for decent roles will normally be pretty tough. The last two roles i landed involved a mix of technical screenings by guys with at least 3 years .Net, and Transcenders / similar PC based tests, and requests for sample code to solve a specific problem... Im an MCSD.Net and took along my exam results to show my current client with an average score of a little over 85% - they still insisted on having me write a basic application to their specifications as part of the screening. Admittedly the last two companies have been consultancies with fairly strict recruiting guidelines, but the quality of staff ive worked with over the last two years has been a lot higher compared to those i encountered pre .Net. Many people had C++ / Java backgrounds and were mid thirties i.e. were experienced OO developers.

Ive spent 3 years with C# and no contractor ive worked with recently had less than 2 years real world .Net - youll be spotted a mile off even if you scrape past the interview stage.

The permie route with training might be worth it - get to grips with VS 2005 Team System and then go contracting next year.

In terms of MCP certifications id do the Windows Applications, then Web Applications, then Web Services and Server Components in that order. Theres a lot of commonality in terms of debugging, configuration etc.
    Vieze Oude Man

Comment

I think that it is only 'fair' that I am hired as a .NET developer - to deny me this is discrimination, innit

Comment

Originally posted by Shimano105
        I think that it is only 'fair' that I am hired as a .NET developer - to deny me this is discrimination, innit
        I concur! It's merely because you're an angry little red man that you can't get a .NET contract!

In reply to your original question...

Anyone got .NET contract with no experience?
        Yes, Milan and DimPrawn.

Comment

Permie

I agree with mcquiggd. If the permie job is in VS.Net 2005 and SQL Server 2005, then do it for a year and you will be on a level-playing field with everyone else. Now would be a good time to do it.

As for your 'I sat at my desk and pretended to code for 4 years' line Shimano, whatever, but I've not failed an interview for a contract in 3 years, 'cos I take my laptop with me and can demonstrate 5+ full .Net projects using best .Net practices. Whilst you on the other hand, are a cocky little red man with no .Net contracts and an obvious inferiority complex. I think permiedom is calling you shimano... run along now

Comment

Have I ever got a .Net contract without experience

Yes but it was advertised as a VB6 contract.

Only became .Net when the client emailed me in a panic because their supplier had mucked up getting them Visual Studio and asked if I could supply it!

However I have also taken a lot of direct work doing .Net and this has given me the confidence and knowledge to be able to take more traditional contracting work with the same skills.

Comment

Don't take it personally, handjob, the 4 year quip was aimed at any helpdesk jockey.

I like the laptop at interview approach, maybe I can do that when I've got some apps knocked up. Wouldn't you be breaching IP agreements though with clients' code?

Comment

ahh

well well,

the Benes brainwashing has worked

have fun in dot net, it's the future you know

Milan.

Comment

I will and I'll take great pleasure in posting that I've blagged a .NET contract by the end of the year.

By the way, do you want to buy your screen name back 'benes.....?

Comment

LOL,

christ you're easily pleased !

taking great pleasure in blagging a .Net contract LOL

I think however, aside of your previous fantasies blagging a dot net contract is one dream which you may be able to fulfill

Milan.

Comment

Forget .Net. Everyone knows SAP is the future.

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                      X