• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Just bought a car on ebay

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This must be a joke. Rover are selling new ones for 10k
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

That's a Permy car that.

No wonder you are an "IR35 Avoider"!
      Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

I'm sure you can get 2 years free return to base warranty (in Peking).

Comment

A rover FFS

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider
          My new car

Hope I've done the right thing.
          And I thought I was old
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

You are a miserable bunch. For the doubters among you, I'm perfectly serious, and in the unlikely event the car lives up to the photos, I will be very pleased. Go look at them again, properly this time.

I am feeling a bit guilty at blowing 7K on an such a new and unnecessarily expensive vehicle, given that my current car, a 1990 Honda, performs as well as it did nine years ago when I bought it, and could easily have seen me through another 5-10 years.

To the person who asked what IR35 avoiding was for, it was so that I could accumulate enough money to pay for all the housing, food, clothing and medical care, and indeed transport, that I would need for the rest of my life, without ever having to work another day, if I didn't want to.

As for the mileage, I believe (though I acknowledge I'm no expert in the field of automobile technology) that most cars are sufficiently well-built nowadays that with maintenance and average luck, they can easily last forever, or at least twenty years anyway. I don't believe cars break down because they are old; rather what happens is that because they are old and unfashionable they become worth little and are no longer maintained properly; they then break because of the lack of maintenance. It is unfashionableness rather than predestined mechanical decay that is the root cause of the demise of ancient vehicles.

Haven't you ever seen the Mercedes advert (or was it Volvo?) of the middle-eastern gentleman who refused to trade in his car which had exceeded a million miles, because it was working perfectly and had only ever cost him an alternator and a couple of batteries along the way? (Well, presumably some tyres and disk pads as well...) I see no reason not to try and emulate his feat.

If a new car with the same spec is obtainable for 10K, then my purchase is indeed suboptimal, but I doubt such a deal is available. Feel free to paste a web link as evidence that I'm wrong. (When Rover went bust I did hear that new cars were going for about 13K, though I wouldn't have thought they had quite the same spec as this.)

As for the looks, I admit it took me some time to come round to the retro styling, and generally I'm more inclined towards Focus-sized hatchbacks than four-door saloons, but I think this car is better looking than almost everything Mercedes or BMW offer in this size or smaller. (Wasn't it its looks that made it Italian car of the year when it was launched?)

To those who cast aspersions because this is a Rover; bugger off; it is a BMW with a different badge and a more beautiful body. I believe that BMW's diesel engines are generally considered to be outstanding. I see no reason to doubt the car salesman's claims that this diesel five-speed automatic will out-perform the petrol 2 litre V6 manual. At least I think he said that. You lot really are a bunch of skeptics.

Edited: Almost forgot Chico's question. No it doesn't have keyless entry, but the only toy that it is missing that I would have liked is built-in Satnav, so my current PDA based version will transfer over from the Honda.
            Last edited by IR35 Avoider; 4 August 2005, 21:02.

Comment

Originally posted by IR35 Avoider
              You are a miserable bunch. For the doubters among you, I'm perfectly serious, and in the unlikely event the car lives up to the photos, I will be very pleased. Go look at them again, properly this time.
              If Rover cars were so good, do you think the company would have suffered from the problems that it has?

For fecks sake, it's built by workshy bastards from the midlands? Bloody hell, their favourite hobby is sitting by the railway station banjo in hand! They're all married to each others brother/sister/mother/uncle fester! The only redeeming feature a brummie has is that he can't nick the wheels off your car quicker than a scouser - and that's only because the lazy twat is either asleep or tuning his banjo!

Christ on a bike!

Spod - In "cue Chico" mode!

Comment

Nothing wrong with a Rover. (Gunman in I "I have an MG myself" mode) Apart from they went bang so all warranties and support have gone so RESALE VAKUE is bugger all, a point you missed I think.

Did you not see the estate version in the add above for 3K less than you paid? You may not have wanted an estate but the price was a big clue.
                I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Tsssk

IR35 Avoider, have you not heard of built-in obsolesence? The car with a million miles on the clock that you mention, I believe, was a Mercedes built back in the days when Mercs were built like tanks (modern Mercs are crap).
                  Most car companies have wised up to this now. Why would a manufacturer build an everlasting car - it would stop sales of new ones.
                  Your car is very nice but I think given that Rover has gone bust etc paying 7k for a 98,000 miler is a serious mistake.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Did you not see the estate version in the add above for 3K less than you paid?
                    If you mean the one that is being sold by the same dealer on ebay - that has three days to go before the price is finalised. (You do know that ebay is an auction site don't you?) In recent months similar estates have sold for between 8K and 12K. (The 12K one was a 2004 model that was virtually new though.)

I predict that estate will go for at least 8K. If I'm wrong, you can revive this thread on Monday night with a link that proves it.

Comment

this thread is BORING BORING BORING

how many times does it need to be discussed that some
                      naive dipstick bought a rover, yes a rover on ebay, yes on ebay
                      for... wait for it... 7k gbp

and the fecking rover has 98k miles !

that's it that's all there is to it,

one born every minute

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                      X