• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

'Euromortgage' plan for borrowers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Euromortgage' plan for borrowers

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4699879.stm

Homebuyers could be able to shop across Europe for the best mortgage deal, under plans being considered by the European Commission.

But one leading UK mortgage expert cast doubt on whether UK consumers would benefit from taking out mortgages with lenders based in other EU countries.

"The UK mortgage market is far and away the most competitive in Europe," said Ray Boulger, technical director at mortgage adviser John Charcol.

Would this proposal enable us to have lower interest rates on mortgages? Is this why the mortgage guys are now bleating with the threat of global competition?
    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

John Charcol is on a nice little earner.

Comment

That's cool
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

IME charcol are right. Whilst base interest rates may be lower, margins and charges are much higher. It is unlikely that someone with a competitive mortgage rate in the Uk will achieve a lower rate with a European lender, and they'll have the exchange rate risk as well. I can't see this as being of any use to people outside the Euro zone in the short to medium term.

tim

Comment

Working...
        X