• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Declaring interest earned on savings on tax return

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Your domicile is generally where you were born (or where your father was born), regardless of where you live now and for how
    WRONG!

You only got to domicile of origin in IR20 then?

Originally posted by IR20
    4 Domicile

4.1 Domicile is a general law concept. It is not possible to list all the factors that affect your domicile, but some of the main points are explained in this Chapter.

4.2 Broadly speaking, you are domiciled in the country where you have your permanent home. Domicile is distinct from nationality or residence. You can only have one domicile at any given time.

Domicile of origin

4.3 You normally acquire a domicile of origin from your father when you are born. It need not be the country in which you are born. For example, if you are born in France while your father is working there, but his permanent home is in the UK, your domicile of origin is in the UK.

Domicile of dependency

4.4 Until you have the legal capacity to change it - see paragraph 4.5 - your domicile will follow that of the person on whom you are legally dependent. If the domicile of that person changes, you automatically acquire the same domicile (a domicile of dependency), in place of your domicile of origin.

Domicile of choice

4.5 You have the legal capacity to acquire a new domicile (a domicile of choice) when you reach age 16. To do so, you must broadly leave your current country of domicile and settle in another country. You need to provide strong evidence that you intend to live there permanently or indefinitely. Living in another country for a long time, although an important factor, is not enough in itself to prove you have acquired a new domicile
    I have a domicile of choice. Given that I've bought a house here, by kids are educated locally, I've permanent residency status locally, the only asset I have in the UK is a bank account, and I'm only there max 2 weeks a year, I doubt even the most insane tax inspector would argue otherwise.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Your domicile is generally where you were born (or where your father was born), regardless of where you live now and for how long.

A lot of people confuse domicile with residency.
      You can have domicile of choice too...
      Bazza gets caught
      Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        WRONG!

I have a domicile of choice. Given that I've bought a house here, by kids are educated locally, I've permanent residency status locally, the only asset I have in the UK is a bank account, and I'm only there max 2 weeks a year, I doubt even the most insane tax inspector would argue otherwise.
        D'oh should have read further...
        Bazza gets caught
        Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

WRONG!

anywhere nice?
          Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Living in another country for a long time, although an important factor, is not enough in itself to prove you have acquired a new domicile.
            I believe that the IR are refusing requests for a domicile of choice. Anyone tried that recently?

Comment

>anywhere nice?

Lots of mountains nearby, hence the sig.

A few years ago, when dealing with a border issue, I contacted the IR, as they were then, and asked them for a statement of my residency, ordinary residency and domicile. They replied that they don't make any such statement, as the tax system is self-assessment. It's up to us to decide, and only if we decide wrong is there a problem.

There is no such procedure as "a request for domicile of choice".

And anyone who's bought a house in this country, will understand that it's a pretty strong indication of intention to stay!
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

>anywhere nice?

Scotland?
                Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Wales?

Comment

>anywhere nice?

Afganistan. He is Bin Laden folks...

Comment

There is no such procedure as "a request for domicile of choice".

And anyone who's bought a house in this country, will understand that it's a pretty strong indication of intention to stay!
                      True, but you need to fill in a DOM1 if you are making a claim of non-dom to avoid uk tax.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/dom1.pdf

And lots of non-doms in the city (there are 1000's) own UK property and live here 365 days a year, because they were born overseas and have property there too. It's much harder to change your domicile from the one you were born with.

Comment

Working...
                      X