• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The sign of things to come

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The sign of things to come

Another church that I need to visit. From The Telegraph

The preacher with 16,000 in his congregation
    By Catherine Elsworth

America's largest church has moved into a 16,000-seat sports stadium to accommodate its giant congregation.

The arena, once home to the Houston Rockets bastketball team, boasts two indoor waterfalls, video game machines and an internet cafe but no cross or other religious iconography.

The complex, formerly known as the Compaq Centre, is the new home to the evangelical Lakewood Church, which recently became the first in the United States to average more than 30,000 worshippers a week.

Pumping music, an elaborate light show and rapturous applause signalled the arrival of the Texan church's telegenic pastor, Joel Osteen, at a welcome service at the weekend.

Mr Osteen, 43, one of America's most high-profile "televangelists", who inherited the church from his father in 1999, told his congregation in the packed arena: "I just want to say, I love you.''

Lakewood, whose racially diverse congregation comprises nearly equal numbers of white, Hispanic and black members, has spent 15 months and more than £54 million transforming the stadium, replacing the wood basketball court with carpet and installing the waterfalls. Five storeys were also added to the building. As with many new evangelical churches, there is no cross, altar or stained glass but an internet cafe has been constructed and vast television screens, along with 32 video game booths, have been installed.

Lakewood's growth illustrates the rise of America's "mega churches", defined as non-Catholic congregations of at least 2,000. In 1970 there were 10; two years ago the total hit 740.

The corporation-like organisations are now responsible for "mega business", according to Forbes magazine. Georgia's World Changers Ministries runs a publishing house, a music studio and its own record label.

Lakewood, which began life in 1959 in an abandoned animal feed store on the outskirts of Houston, today styles itself as a global landmark, with services that are watched on television by millions. Last year its revenue topped £30 million.

Mr Osteen, who dropped out of college, embodies the new generation of ministers fronting the rapidly expanding charismatic branch of evangelical Christianity. Since taking over the church, he has increased its congregation almost five-fold. It is now the country's fastest growing church, while Mr Osteen's book, Your Best Life Now: 7 Steps to Living Your Full Potential, has sold almost three million copies.

He described the move to the arena as "a dream come true".

"I couldn't believe how beautiful it was," he said. "It almost felt surreal."

The church has scheduled four services for each weekend, including one in Spanish. Speaking in front of a large, rotating, gold-coloured globe, Mr Osteen preached for 25 minutes.

Lakewood's website says that, in the new arena, "the world will see a church with no limits. . . and no boundaries''.

The arena project is ''an outreach that stretches the imagination and opens doors to the power of God to change millions of lives", it adds.
    Sola gratia

Sola fide

Soli Deo gloria

I just had a large curly dump
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

As with many new evangelical churches, there is no cross, altar or stained glass
      Why no cross or altar?
      Autom...Sprow...Canna...Tik banna...Sandwol...But no sera smee

Comment

Wage

I guess it is because some people grow attached to imagery rather than the message.
        Sola gratia

Sola fide

Soli Deo gloria

Comment

Christain rock music is the proof that the devil has the best tunes
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Bagpuss so what's your story then?
            Sola gratia

Sola fide

Soli Deo gloria

Comment

Talking of old tunes

I remember a few years ago (well, about 20, actually) that there was a great spoof country and western song, can't remember who sang it, but the chorus when

"Praise the Lord, and send me the money"

I wonder who they were thinking about

If Chico wants to go there, it tells me a lot about his brand of "Christianity" (and I use the word "brand" deliberately.
              Life is just nature's way of keeping meat fresh

Comment

Wooden jesus where are you from
                Korea or canada or maybe taiwan
                I didn’t know it was the holy land
                But I believed from the minute
                The check left my hand, and I pray

Can I be saved, I spent all my money
                On a future grave
                Wooden jesus I’ll cut you in
                On twenty percent of my future sin

Temple of the Dog

Comment

hattra

What exactly is my brand of Christianity?

Bagpuss

Whatever personal issues you are having - be assured that God loves you and as Bible says "for, "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved." Rom 10:13
                  Sola gratia

Sola fide

Soli Deo gloria

Comment

Chico, I call on the dark Lord Lucifer, I looked in the mirror said the alphabet backwards while scratching 666 into it.

Comment

Working...
                    X