• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone know what mains gas costs per cubic metre ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top floor flat Even in the dead of Winter it rarely drops below 15 degrees C in my flat. I just wear a dressing gown or something warm to cover that. Or if I eat a lot of have been to the gym I stay warm too

I sometimes measure the floor temperature and it’s often around 21 degrees.

Comment

Originally posted by BrowneIssue View Post
      cubic metres

Sorry to be pedantic, but both of these errors bug me.

a) 2 metres cubed is 8 cubic metres.

b) A meter is a measuring device, except in that big country that doesn't acknowledge metric where they insist on spelling everything wrongly.
      No. 2 metres cubed = 2 m^3 - Know your operator precedence. At best, though highly unlikely, it could be regarded as ambiguous without parenthesis, but I followed it with an example.
      (2 metre)^3 is what you are think of. As for my spelling mistake, yes well spotted

Comment

PowerGen

33 units =1062 kWh
        each kWh = 3.081p plus 5% VAT

Each unit is 1 hcf (WTF an hcf is, I don't know. <something> cubic feet?).

1 unit = 2.83 cubic metres.
        Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

PowerGen

33 units =1062 kWh
          each kWh = 3.081p plus 5% VAT

Each unit is 1 hcf (WTF an hcf is, I don't know. <something> cubic feet?).

1 unit = 2.83 cubic metres.
          It looks like hcf = 'hundreds of cubic feet'. To convert to m^3 multiply by 2.83, as you say. My meter is pretty modern, so yes there’s no guarantee that gas units are all metric or standard, in line with every other damn imperial measurement, especially volumes.

Comment

It's cheaper to purchase your gas in units of metres sphered rather than metres cubed because they fit down the cylindrical pipes better.

Comment

cubic metres

b) A meter is a measuring device, except in that big country that doesn't acknowledge metric where they insist on spelling everything wrongly.
              My auto correct is set for that annoying illiterate country
              Confusion is a natural state of being

Comment

Timberwolf, excellent analysis thank you.

You said 47.65p in the uk per metre cubed.

Where I am (CZ) it seems according to RWE that the price is +/- 35p/m3

So big panic is over gas bill will be ok considering how much we use etc.

Brownstuff, you said:

So please explain how we commonly say...

50 metres square for a floor area

then why not 3 metres cubed for a measurement of gas ?

Answers on a postcard please.

Ta,

Milan.

Comment

milan whatever you do for a living, it can't be very demanding intellectually.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Diver View Post
                    My auto correct is set for that annoying illiterate country
                    I've read so many American textbooks (well a few) that I now use meters and metres interchangeably. And litres/liters. Has anyone a copy of the OED to see what it says about American spellings? How about color and gray?

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                      milan whatever you do for a living, it can't be very demanding intellectually.
                      Drivelling in TPD is not a mental health issue. We're just community blogging, that's all.

Xenophon said: "CUK Geek of the Week". A gingerjedi certified "Elitist Tw@t". Posting rated @ 5 lard points

Comment

Working...
                      X