• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Official Contractor UK Budget Thread 2017

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    2.21?
    https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...t_2017_web.pdf
    I don't see it here. Am I going stupid?
    Sorry I was referring to the links posted by JamesBrown further up the thread. It discusses the Taylor report.

Comment

who is going to lead the consultation? One of the big 4 consulting firms?

Comment

Originally posted by jonbon View Post
        who is going to lead the consultation? One of the big 4 consulting firms?
        Yes, sir.

Welcome, sir.

Comment

Good job well done to everyone that wrote to their MP's, pushed stuff on social media and what-not! Seems like we've managed to narrowly escape for now.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
            Nice headline tax break, but in reality does a £5k tax cut really address the problem of first time buyers not being able to afford property (down south anyway)?
            Yes. It takes a long time to save £5k and then not be able to use it for your deposit. Will help my daughter in the S.E.

Comment

I believe that a consultation is the norm these days as a means to reduce or eliminate the effect of any legal challenge. I imagine the Treasury know what they are aiming for and expect changes to be announced in the 2018 Budget, taking effect from April 2019.

The Red Book also mentions some simplification of employee claimed expenses but I would suspect that this will be closed off to one man band contractors.
              "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Originally posted by mall View Post
                Is that correct?
                What if you owned a house in the past. sold it and was in rented?
                What would stop someone selling their house and then renting for 6months. So to save paying stamp duty
                What is the correct definition of a first time buyer.
                It's not correct. First time means first time ever.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                  It's still an uphill fight, but the first hurdle has been crossed. Good stuff - definitely much more toned down than was threatened.
                  This. It feels like the door has been shut on him but we don't know whether he'll walk away from it or knock again. The more bad news about its impact on the Public Sector side, the better.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                    Nice headline tax break, but in reality does a £5k tax cut really address the problem of first time buyers not being able to afford property (down south anyway)?
                    Nope.

Comment

£5k won't even pay the VED on a diesel car...
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X