• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My Oculus Rift VR arrives today!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Oculus Rift VR arrives today!

I'm very excited about this as you can imagine. I will be posting updates as the day, weeks and months go on.

Mods, I agree that this is probably the most important thread on here, so feel free to create a new forum for it next to or before the General link.

Please no bananas in your replies, just knowing you know makes me happy.

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    I'm very excited about this as you can imagine. I will be posting updates as the day, weeks and months go on.

Mods, I agree that this is probably the most important thread on here, so feel free to create a new forum for it next to or before the General link.

Please no bananas in your replies, just knowing you know makes me happy.
    My son has asked for a Vive for xmas. It's much more expensive than Oculus. Any idea if Vive is that much better ?

Comment

The Vive needs the space of an entire room to work correctly, the Rift will work with just a few meters. I also find the Rift software and configuration to be much smoother than the Vive.

Comment

What you gonna run on it?

Comment

Originally posted by Tasslehoff View Post
          My son has asked for a Vive for xmas. It's much more expensive than Oculus. Any idea if Vive is that much better ?
          From the reviews and speaking to people there isnt a huge amount of difference but the Vive is better for room tracking. Though people have said paying £50 for an extra sensor can transform the rift tracking.

But apart from a go on the rift in the US a little while ago Its all new to me. Big sell for me was the price reduction to £399, which puts it my xmas present range.
          Last edited by woohoo; 21 November 2017, 10:41.

Comment

I have had one since release. It's a great party piece but tbh I don't use it all that much for gaming anymore.

Motion sickness is still a big issue. If I play 20 minutes of something like Eve Valkyrie then I feel unwell for a couple of hours afterwards. It affects some people more than others and you can condition yourself to tolerate it better through consistent use.

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
              What you gonna run on it?
              Well I want to experiment with it but Elite Dangerous is my goto relaxing game - it's supposed to be top notch with VR.

I'm also a developer, so going to see if there is anything interesting I can do with it.

Watching films etc will be interesting on it, though if you are into your 4k etc then the resolution is going to disappoint.

Under no illusions that this stuff is only going to get better and in a year or two my headset will be obsolete but going to enjoy playing with it.

Comment

Originally posted by ProInDisguise View Post
                I have had one since release. It's a great party piece but tbh I don't use it all that much for gaming anymore.

Motion sickness is still a big issue. If I play 20 minutes of something like Eve Valkyrie then I feel unwell for a couple of hours afterwards. It affects some people more than others and you can condition yourself to tolerate it better through consistent use.
                I did try it in the US, in a microsoft store and didnt feel any kind of motion sickness. Is it only with some games you get it?

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                  I did try it in the US, in a microsoft store and didnt feel any kind of motion sickness. Is it only with some games you get it?
                  Depends a lot on the game and you.

Generally any game which gives the impression of moving has the chance to make you feel rough because you eyes say you are moving but your inner ear says you ain't (which is one of the main causes of motion sickness!)

keep us posted.

Can you post on here whilst in VR?

Comment

CBA to think of a snarky comment about VR and Brexit, but can you assume I made one anyway? Ta.

Comment

Working...
                    X