• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

2018 uk governmentsyear of the engineer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2018 uk governmentsyear of the engineer

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/g...n-of-engineers
    Laughable really when you consider what they are inadvertently going to achieve with their rumoured IR35 reforms.

All engineers should be employees on PAYE after all the person who fixes your washing machine is an engineer....
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

As an Engineer I'm feeling really positive about the future for next year. Honest.
      30 years of under investment which is just now being addressed but with Nobody to teach the apprectices/Grads any real meaningful skills other than power point. I can understand why productivity is down if I'm honest.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        All engineers should be employees on PAYE after all the person who fixes your washing machine is an engineer....
        Rather a narrow minded view. As one of only 56 Certified, through INCOSE and IET, Systems Engineering Professionals in th UK, and as a Chartered Engineer working on multiple projects for multiple clients - just like your average washing machine repair man but without the SD&C - I beg to differ.

Using your analogy all IT contractors should be PAYE afterall all you do is fix computers - just like a washing machine repair man.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          No. They are technicians.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I don't think they're engineers or technicians, just a bunch of charlatans. I've seen loads of films about them on the internet, and the washing machine never gets fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
              Rather a narrow minded view. As one of only 56 Certified, through INCOSE and IET, Systems Engineering Professionals in th UK, and as a Chartered Engineer working on multiple projects for multiple clients - just like your average washing machine repair man but without the SD&C - I beg to differ.

Using your analogy all IT contractors should be PAYE afterall all you do is fix computers - just like a washing machine repair man.
              I was taking the p*ss.

When I need to sort out my boiler I phone up a call centre and delibrately correct the person on the other end of the phone when they say engineer.

The person - yes person as a woman has turned up before - who fixes and services my boiler is either a plumber, builder or technician. Most are the former two.

However the person who fixes my washing machine is definitely a technician.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
                https://www.gov.uk/government/news/g...n-of-engineers
                Laughable really when you consider what they are inadvertently going to achieve with their rumoured IR35 reforms.
                "Minister for Skills" - what a great job title. g

Second only to the old LiveNation job that I saw of "President of Talent".
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Bob will get the award because he can do it 'plenty quickly'.

Comment

Originally posted by sbakoola View Post
                    Bob will get the award because he can do it 'plenty quickly'.
                    Oops....

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...-roof-collapse
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                    X