• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moral Money: 'My parents used my childhood savings to clear debts – should I ask for

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moral Money: 'My parents used my childhood savings to clear debts – should I ask for

"Moral Money: 'My parents used my childhood savings to clear debts – should I ask for it back?'

I recently learned from my grandparents that when I was younger they gave my parents several thousand pounds intended to be the start of long-term savings for myself.

My parents have never mentioned the money to me. I'm now 19 and studying at university, so need all funds available.

My parents have in the past battled with debts, which is where I think the money has gone. Although they are now financially more secure, they still have a mortgage and other financial commitments.

Should I bring it up with them, or ask my grandparents to? Or should I just accept that I must write this money off?"

Source: Moral Money: 'My parents used my childhood savings to clear debts – should I ask for it back?' 

Looks like the Telegraph is on fire:

Ask an expert: can David Cameron avoid the £213,750 stamp duty on his £2m Cornish holiday home?

Comment

How much do you want for your grannie? two bob?
      Breadhead

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        "Moral Money: 'My parents used my childhood savings to clear debts – should I ask for it back?'

I recently learned from my grandparents that when I was younger they gave my parents several thousand pounds intended to be the start of long-term savings for myself.

My parents have never mentioned the money to me. I'm now 19 and studying at university, so need all funds available.

My parents have in the past battled with debts, which is where I think the money has gone. Although they are now financially more secure, they still have a mortgage and other financial commitments.

Should I bring it up with them, or ask my grandparents to? Or should I just accept that I must write this money off?"

Source: Moral Money: 'My parents used my childhood savings to clear debts – should I ask for it back?'Â*

Did you ever get the potato your granddad left for you on his deathbed?
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
          "Cameron deserves a shed in Siberia for what he did to this country."

So he's going down well in history?
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            Did you ever get the potato your granddad left for you on his deathbed?
            My granddad died from illness caused by many years false imprisonment in GULAG, the other one probably died during WW2, not even my father knew him.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

Source: Moral Money: 'My parents used my childhood savings to clear debts – should I ask for it back?'Â*

Phone Safe Collections.

Comment

The parents gave them a life to live, love and cherish.

The parents afforded them with an upbringing throughout childhood until high school with the desire to aim for higher education to better themselves.

Last I checked raising a child until there 18th cost around £230,000

And now this... higher education is obviously wasted on them when they are without the intelligence to understand the riches already bequeathed to them. How sad. I'd be ashamed to approach my parents with such a thought had the same predicament come to my attention.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  The parents gave them a life to live, love and cherish.

The parents afforded them with an upbringing throughout childhood until high school with the desire to aim for higher education to better themselves.

Last I checked raising a child until there 18th cost around £230,000

And now this... higher education is obviously wasted on them when they are without the intelligence to understand the riches already bequeathed to them. How sad. I'd be ashamed to approach my parents with such a thought had the same predicament come to my attention.
                  Like i said, - he'd sell his grannie for two bob

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    Last I checked raising a child until there 18th cost around £230,000,,,
                    Yeah - we should bill the little perishers.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X