• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

GSCE Mathematics

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good on her. Best of luck!

Comment

Due to grade inflation, your wife's 1991 grade 'D' is roughly equivalent to a 2:2 maths degree now.

Comment

and my '86 grade 'C' == Nobel Prize for mathematics.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
          At the risk of putting it in here...

The wife wants to try for GCSE Maths, she missed most of the 5th year (old skool) with illness but she got a D then, now wants to see if she can knock it up to a C as many jobs are asking for this. Oddly enough some are asking for a degree for an Admin job! But I digress...

Has anyone recently taken this? (Or your kids have.)I remember back in the day (1991 IIRC) there were 4 papers, I took papaers 2&3 so I got C, (the highest possible with those papers), I have now seen it has changed to number grading 1-9, with 4 and higher equivalent to A-C.

qh

Pogle Jnr took the new style GCSE in June. Its 3 papers and the grades are now 1 to 9 with 9 being the highest.
          Only the top 3% will be given a 9 (Jnr got an 8).

For this year a 4 was a pass with a 5 being a good pass - whatever the F%^& that means!
          But I think they may revise that over time to just have 5 as a pass.

The papers -( as least the board that my daughter did ) do not seem to have straightforward questions either and some are worded to be designed to catch the student out - which is not helpful.

Best of luck to your wife
          I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
          CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
          CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
            and my '86 grade 'C' == Nobel Prize for mathematics.
            1979. Maths and FurtherMaths O level. A in both....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              1979. Maths and FurtherMaths O level. A in both....
              Of course, then 10% got A, 10% B, 60% C, 10% D, 10% E. Or similar....

Comment

Regardless of grade inflation etc. I say go for it. My missus got D's in English and Maths at school 20 yrs ago and has recently gone back and ended up with 2 Bs which means she can move on as a mature student in nursing, you're never too old to learn and better yourself. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                X