• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

This whole tax avoidance business....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah, the court of public opinion. Best thing to do is take down the flag so they don't know you're home and then wait for the football to distract them all again.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
      From what I've read, the VAT refund is highly suspect. Being VAT registered is not the sole requirement for recovering input VAT on a purchase. The purchase needs to be related to making taxable supplies. In other words, if there isn't a valid business reason for the purchase the VAT is not reclaimable. If there is a mix of personal and business purposes then the VAT reclaim should be restricted. If Hamilton always intended to make use of the jet in a private capacity a third of the time, then only 2/3 of the VAT should have been recovered.

Do you think he's been paying any tax on the BIK for his company giving him free use of the jet?
      I doubt it, he lives in Monaco, and his Companies are all registered in zero tax (or very low tax) locations.
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by PhiltheGreek View Post
        Ah, the court of public opinion. Best thing to do is take down the flag so they don't know you're home and then wait for the football to distract them all again.
        If one must avoid one's tax, one must do their patriotic duty and avoid it in a British Crown Dependency or British Overseas Territory.

Comment

The 'Mrs. Brown's Boys' tax avoidance flagged by the Paradise Papers was unexpected and raised a smile -
          0% income tax for several cast members by using a 'fees to Mauritius then loan back' scheme

Cast member said he “never knew what the **** was going on”.
          Pull the other one sunshine !

Comment

As long as it's legal I don't give a tulip. I hope my pension funds do similar tbh.
            ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by SunnyInHades View Post
              The 'Mrs. Brown's Boys' tax avoidance flagged by the Paradise Papers was unexpected and raised a smile -
              0% income tax for several cast members by using a 'fees to Mauritius then loan back' scheme

Cast member said he “never knew what the **** was going on”.
              Pull the other one sunshine !
              Actors tend to be thicker than IT contractors.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by PhiltheGreek View Post
                Perhaps Simon Cowell would be so kind as to produce some X factor shockers to get the tabloids lit up. Otherwise - some more MPs may just have to go under the #metoo bus - perhaps some of the pedophile ones, but that would of course be the nuclear option if all else failed.
                "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
                  Perhaps Simon Cowell would be so kind as to produce some X factor shockers to get the tabloids lit up.
                  Good thinking. I'll have him texted and told what to do.

Comment

Nice timing for the budget.

Wonder what crap rules they'll force on us in the pretence of clamping down so everyone pays their 'fair share'.

Hammond was asking for bold ideas wasn't he? How about HMRC publishing an online current tax/benefit balance for every individual, showing if they're a net contributor or not over their working life. They could simplify it by having icons showing if you're currently a tax dodger, hard working family person paying your fair share, or benefit lifestyle parasite. Wear the icon on your armband so you can get into Harrods, Asda, or the food bank as appropriate.
                    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                      Nice timing for the budget.

Wonder what crap rules they'll force on us in the pretence of clamping down so everyone pays their 'fair share'.

Hammond was asking for bold ideas wasn't he? How about HMRC publishing an online current tax/benefit balance for every individual, showing if they're a net contributor or not over their working life. They could simplify it by having icons showing if you're currently a tax dodger, hard working family person paying your fair share, or benefit lifestyle parasite. Wear the icon on your armband so you can get into Harrods, Asda, or the food bank as appropriate.
                      I'd like to see what effort and results have come from the Panama paper leaks last year. Surely they'd be able to pay off the deficit now with that haul...
                      "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Working...
                      X