• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Racing Circuit Simulators

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Racing Circuit Simulators

At one of our monthly petrolheads meet ups last night we were discussing track days. One of the guys said he uses racing simulation games on his PC viewed through a monster telly to learn any unfamiliar circuits and that the technology is such that it's very lifelike indeed.

It transpired that he'd paid £500 for a steering wheel and set of pedals that give feedback of some sort.

I've not played any serious computer games since Doom V1 but I do have a fast graphics card and a triple screen display - I was just wondering;

a) Is it worth the money?
    b) Can I put it through myco's books as a trackball?

Andy
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

a) No.
    b) No, but you might get away with claiming for mileage.

HTH
    England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Didn't Clarkson do this on Top Gear with Laguna Seca and a Honda NSX a while back? The simulation version was fast and never crashed. Doing it for real he was loads slower and frequently not between the white lines.

But then again he can't drive for peanuts anyway...
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Maybe only worth it if you get a copy of Grand Prix Legends, which was a mid 90's sim of the 'Jim Clark' era of F1. Still has many fans, user mods have updated it a lot, gazillions of tracks (historic & new) plus a vibrant online racing community. Car dynamics are still better than anything else out there, all that power with little grip feels like driving on an ice rink. With your three screen setup I bet it would look insane.

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
          At one of our monthly petrolheads meet ups last night we were discussing track days. One of the guys said he uses racing simulation games on his PC viewed through a monster telly to learn any unfamiliar circuits and that the technology is such that it's very lifelike indeed.

It transpired that he'd paid £500 for a steering wheel and set of pedals that give feedback of some sort.

I've not played any serious computer games since Doom V1 but I do have a fast graphics card and a triple screen display - I was just wondering;

a) Is it worth the money?
          b) Can I put it through myco's books as a trackball?

Andy
          You need a VR headset!!
          https://www.vrroom.buzz/vr-news/prod...-mr-hmds-today

Comment

Depends what floats your boat.

Good for learning new circuits, but pretty crap for actually driving them at any kind of pace. Might lower the learning curve a bit when you get out there though.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Sounds like a valid Budiness expense to me sir

Comment

As per DaveB, but if you've done some racing you'll know that first you learn the circuit then you learn how to drive your ride on the circuit.

Few years ago I got a BTCC game for my PS2, it happened to have Oulton Park on it, where I was racing to get my license. You don't need loads of tech to learn the circuit.

Here's a more recent thread on pistonheads.

Comment

It has been said a number of race drivers will use commercial driving games for learning track layouts.

When clarkson did it think he was on last generation kit (PS3 iirc)

New stuff is more realistic.

You also may want to invest in a racing seat it certainly adds to the experience.

Project cars 2 probably has biggest real track list.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                    It has been said a number of race drivers will use commercial driving games for learning track layouts.

When clarkson did it think he was on last generation kit (PS3 iirc)

New stuff is more realistic.

You also may want to invest in a racing seat it certainly adds to the experience.

Project cars 2 probably has biggest real track list.
                    AND get a ******* VR headset. Do we not have any bloody early adopters on this website.

Comment

Working...
                    X