• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Phil Hammond's Tax on Age

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
    Yes, I can remember going to Ventimiglia in the mid-80s. The return scheduled flight to Nice on Air France was £330. That was a lot of hours stood on a procuction line packing yoghurt.
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Yoghurt

Inneresting

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
      When I was of student age, in the 90s, students went out in the evening to grotty pubs serving cheap lager, or to grotty nightclubs serving even cheaper alcopops - the kind of places where you needed to wipe your feet on the way out. Super cheap nights out. But 10 years later, students didn't do that anymore, they started going to trendy, expensive bars.

They drove battered cars, if they drove one at all. Not new Citroen Saxos bought on PCP which came with free insurance.

Today's young are fed a diet of reality TV and social media, depicting people enjoying fabulous lifestyles and one thing that unites all these 'reality' stars is that none of them are shown picking lettuce, fixing cars, fitting boilers or writing low level design documents. The life style you want, without having to earn it.

Earlier this year, I bought a 2 up 2 down mid-terrace for £50,000. Needed "a bit" of work, but that kind of house price is well within the reach of a couple earning £20k a year between them. But they don't want to live there. They want to live in expensive but valueless city centre flats and still have all the trimmings.

No. There should not be tax breaks for the snowflake generation.
      I tried a trick with my daughter when I was trying to get this across to her.

Pick any tulipty teen targeted program:

- Hollyoaks
      - TOWIE
      - Made in Chelsea

etc

Randomly freeze frame the picture halfway through the program.
      Now go on line and try to find and add up the cost of all the items that have been left by the product placement teams.

Now explain how you could afford them without a £200k salary...

The poor little millennium pups have been brainwashed...

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post

- Hollyoaks
        - TOWIE
        - Made in Chelsea

etc

Now go on line and try to find and add up the cost of all the items that have been left by the product placement teams.

Ah yes, but it is all down to the greed and selfishness of the Boomer generation.

They seem to expect to own their own houses simply because they have worked for 40-50 years solid, made many sacrifices, and raised families.

Greedy old feckers!!
        “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

a vaguely decent flat is £200k in Slough. 8 times the average wage.

30 years ago I had a top notch flat in Surrey in the best area it was 4 times average wage.

Our first house (4 bed) was 2.5 times my wages (which weren't in the higher tax bracket). 27 years ago Same house is £400K now.

Saving won't help, we need to build more houses & have fewer wanting them.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            a vaguely decent flat is £200k in Slough. 8 times the average wage.

30 years ago I had a top notch flat in Surrey in the best area it was 4 times average wage.

Our first house (4 bed) was 2.5 times my wages (which weren't in the higher tax bracket). 27 years ago Same house is £400K now.

Saving won't help, we need to build more houses & have fewer wanting them.
            So much easier to point the finger at a grand or two of annual discretionary expenditure.

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
              How do you get out of paying full price?
              People use work discounts, private health insurance discounts and discounts for students - and you don't have to be a full-time student to get a student discount you just need to do a course that gives you the right card.

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
              Is it the swanky gym with tennis/squash/badminton courts and a nice spa as well?
              Nah - that one is even more expensive. I use to belong to that one years ago but I had a work discount.

Trick is to check everything you have to see if there is a discount and the gym is in a reasonable distance to you.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post

- Hollyoaks
                - TOWIE
                - Made in Chelsea

etc

It's not even the millennials that have been brainwashed as the best joke on prices and lifestyle is actually EastEnders.

Just point out to anyone, regardless of age, how expensive those flats and houses are to rent let alone buy. Loads of the characters don't have a decent job to pay the rent with even if they are just lodging in someone's house.

Then point out the prices in the pub - which they are in all the time- , the prices for a service wash - when washing machines are cheaper - , etc.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Whilst it is true that a nice flat in the centre of Slough will set you back 200K, a nice flat 2 miles further down the road will set you back 65K.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    It's not even the millennials that have been brainwashed as the best joke on prices and lifestyle is actually EastEnders.

Just point out to anyone, regardless of age, how expensive those flats and houses are to rent let alone buy. Loads of the characters don't have a decent job to pay the rent with even if they are just lodging in someone's house.

Then point out the prices in the pub - which they are in all the time- , the prices for a service wash - when washing machines are cheaper - , etc.
                    Or better still, don't waste your time watching the banal catalogue of mindless tripe that constitutes the British national soap opera offering.
                    It will mush your brain.

Get a few decent documentary channels instead. It won't make you any richer but at least you will know all about Sharks, Nazis, and Conspiracy theories.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                      Or better still, don't waste your time watching the banal catalogue of mindless tripe that constitutes the British national soap opera offering.
                      It will mush your brain.

Get a few decent documentary channels instead. It won't make you any richer but at least you will know all about Sharks, Nazis, and Conspiracy theories.

It's the Nazi shark moon base you need to watch out for.

Comment

Working...
                      X