• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

world faces antibiotic apocalypse

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    What I don't get, given all these tales about resistant microbes. Why does good old penicillin still work?
    Depends what bacteria you need to fight
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Luckily I have a fecked immune system so I will be one of the first to go. (Hopefully my death will not be painful...)

Mudskipper is far healthier and much fitter than AtW but he will only see her bum cycl ng off into the distance. She will then realise all that cycling training wasn't for nothing.
      Hoping the elderly Brexiteers go first.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        it doesn't work like that. The more people who die young the more babies are born. To control population we need to make sure that children grow to adulthood and the global population will stabilise and then start to drop slightly around the year 2050.
        except for the cultures who miss that point or want to rule the world.

Don't judge people by your standards.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
          It's the fault of the lowly educated people such as Brexiteers that keep demanding antibiotics for virus infections such as flu or a common cold and their doctors for giving them a prescription for it
          not all those nice immigrants bringing the old infections that were eliminated in the west like TB?

Or the failure to keep hospitals clean and contain various bug resistant infections?
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            not all those nice immigrants bringing the old infections that were eliminated in the west like TB?
            No. It's the over- and mis- use of antibiotics. The mechanism is well established.

TB wasn't eliminated in the west. There was always a pool of it. Very little (if anything) to do with immigration - except in the minds of the more bigoted and ignorant.

Or the failure to keep hospitals clean and contain various bug resistant infections?
            A dirty hospital will mean that you're more likely to catch the disease, but it's not what causes bacteria to develop resistance.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

So how do the healthy avoid the apocalypse? Stay away from hospitals (visiting others) and doctors waiting rooms.

Do antibiotics treat anything catchable by mingling with the sick and unhygienic (those that don't wash their hands properly in public toilets or when preparing food)?

The only antibiotics I've had are for dental issues (amoxicillin IIRC). Never been truly sick other than at death's door with man flu, never been admitted to hospital, not needed to see a doctor in years.

So if I die in this apocalypse it's you ******* lot that's to blame.
              Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                So how do the healthy avoid the apocalypse? Stay away from hospitals (visiting others) and doctors waiting rooms.
                Doesn't work like that I'm afraid.

Do antibiotics treat anything catchable by mingling with the sick and unhygienic (those that don't wash their hands properly in public toilets or when preparing food)?
                Doesn't work like that I'm afraid

The only antibiotics I've had are for dental issues (amoxicillin IIRC). Never been truly sick other than at death's door with man flu, never been admitted to hospital, not needed to see a doctor in years.
                The majority of people who go to the doctor are the elderly, pregnant women and children.

So if I die in this apocalypse it's you ******* lot that's to blame.
                Nope.

It's your own fault for eating meat, fruit and veg, eating and drinking anything with water in it, breathing and shagging.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

What I don't get, given all these tales about resistant microbes. Why does good old penicillin still work?
                  It doesn't as good anymore as it used to, that's the whole problem

Comment

Very little (if anything) to do with immigration - except in the minds of the more bigoted and ignorant
                    A PC denial of reality. Figures here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...land__2015.pdf

Tuberculosis (TB) remains an important public health problem in industrialized countries. The majority of cases occur in minority groups, particularly recently arrived immigrants from countries with high endemicity who often congregate in deprived communities within wealthy cities. In the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, people from the Indian subcontinent and sub-Saharan Africa living in inner cities have higher rates of TB than the general population; particularly during the first years after arriving in the country.
                    http://www.who.int/bulletin/volumes/86/9/06-038737/en/

How can there be any proper debate on immigration if anyone who points out any downsides is labelled a bigot?
                    Last edited by xoggoth; 14 October 2017, 18:04.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

A PC denial of reality. Figures here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...land__2015.pdf

WHO | Tuberculosis control in vulnerable groups

How can there be any proper debate on immigration if anyone who points out any downsides is labelled a bigot?
                      How can there be a proper debate on immigration, if bigots keep raising false issues? Perhaps you missed it, but this thread is about antibiotic resistant infections. Multi-drug resistant TB has been caused by misuse and over use of antibiotics globally. Not by "all those nice immigrants bringing the old infections that were eliminated in the west like TB?"
                      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                      X