• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Today's Brexit economic news is....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is interesting given the fact that the UK is in the stronger bargaining position

Barnier's comments send the pound plunging

So when a UK goverment minister says something bad about the Brexit negotiations the pound plunges, and when the EU negotiator says things aren't going well the pound plunges,

Can anyone else see the common factor ?

It seems that the fate of the pound is linked to the Brexit negotiations, but the Euro isn't.

Perhaps can someone who firmly believes that the UK holds all the cards, explain why the Euro doesn't plunge when the Brexit negotiations go astray.

Last edited by BlasterBates; 12 October 2017, 16:36.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      This is interesting given the fact that the UK is in the stronger bargaining position

So when a UK goverment minister says something bad about the Brexit negotiations the pound plunges, and when the EU negotiator says things aren't going well the pound plunges,

Can anyone else see the common factor ?

It seems that the fate of the pound is linked to the Brexit negotiations, but the Euro isn't.

Perhaps can someone who firmly believes that the UK holds all the cards, explain why the Euro doesn't plunge when the Brexit negotiations go astray.

Most ironic given that the EURUSD is down today, and cable is up.

Comment

Originally posted by motoukenin View Post
        Having looked at a few of your last posts and just about everyone proving you wrong I decided to humour you and just do a quick google on Green coffee imports to the EU. Within 5 seconds I found the answer EU does not impose import duty on Green coffee (raw material).

2.11.2-The markets for coffee-Tariff barriers

Now decided to ignore every posting you make from now on just like everyone else.
        Green coffee is not a threat to the French (or anyone else in Europe). Therefore you are not correcting anything I said, you are simply reiterating the fact that you cannot read, or understand, anything in English.
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

Hmmn, GBP looks 0.5% up on EUR and 0.3% up on USD. FTSE 100 closes at a record high.

Headlines this evening like "Pound hits eight-week high against dollar"

An unusual plunge, I must say.
          Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
            Hmmn, GBP looks 0.5% up on EUR and 0.3% up on USD. FTSE 100 closes at a record high.

Headlines this evening like "Pound hits eight-week high against dollar"

An unusual plunge, I must say.
            I just took a look at that and GBP v Euro, its smoke and mirrors,
            is higher than eight weeks but that was really a low. Look at the hourly moves.
            Down trends each time May opens her mouth.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
              Oh ffs. Have a look for yourself. "Raw materials" usually carry the highest tariffs, especially if they compete with French produce. Your ignorance is starting to become slightly irritating.

TARIC Consultation
              ********************************* BANG TO RIGHTS **********************************

******************************Another Brexit numpty exposed***************************

Bang to rights (TM) is a charitable organisation that exposes Brexit false news and misconceptions. Bang to rights (TM) holds no responsibility for the tarnished reputation of those it exposes and only represents those that have been misled into voting on the basis of incorrect or misleading advice. No animals have been harmed in the creation of this posting.
              Warning unicorn meat may give you hallucinations

Comment

No animals have been harmed in the creation of this posting.
                Really? But what about the retarded donkey whose brain they removed and implanted into the vacant area above your sloping shoulders just so you could lick windows more effectively? Answer me that!!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

"I don't care. I just want an end to [choose from the options given]"

exposes Brexit false news and misconceptions.
                  You're wasting your time. Brexiteers I've spoken to recently don't take any notice of all the stuff being discussed here. They have a hazy vision of a wonderful world at the end of the rainbow. That's why they voted and they haven't been deflected by all the recent machinations. Near-term problems are just minor setbacks on the golden road to a rosy future where everybody is happy and nobody tells you what to do.
                  "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
                    You're wasting your time. Brexiteers I've spoken to recently don't take any notice of all the stuff being discussed here. They have a hazy vision of a wonderful world at the end of the rainbow. That's why they voted and they haven't been deflected by all the recent machinations. Near-term problems are just minor setbacks on the golden road to a rosy future where everybody is happy and nobody tells you what to do.
                    Why would they take notice of tulipposts?

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
                      Brexiteers I've spoken to recently don't take any notice of me at all. Come to think of it, that is the general response I encounter whenever I attempt to discuss almost ANY topic at all
                      ftfy

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                      X