• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Today's Brexit economic news is....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Not quite. There are some slight differences to your generalising statement...

You need to be more specific otherwise someone will mistake you for someone who likes to use post truth fact distribution
    I was correct, but not 100% specific. The fact remains that Guadeloupe and the Channel Islands do not have the same status.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      Bananas - Not from EU
      Coffee - Not from EU
      TV's - Not from EU

I don't think you've really thought about UK <-> EU trade much have you?
      Thats because I am not thinking of EU trade, the pound has dropped against virtually every country in the world so dosen't matter where you buy things, anything we import will cost more. Being in a position of employees generally not able to give pay rises inflation at 2.8 % and mortgage increases on the horizon is pretty f***d up. A campaign where everyone can dig for oil should be implemented now to avoid disaster.
      Warning unicorn meat may give you hallucinations

Comment

Today's Brexit economic news is....
        ....Good for my £ short today
        "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by motoukenin View Post
          Thats because I am not thinking of EU trade, the pound has dropped against virtually every country in the world so dosen't matter where you buy things, anything we import will cost more. Being in a position of employees generally not able to give pay rises inflation at 2.8 % and mortgage increases on the horizon is pretty f***d up. A campaign where everyone can dig for oil should be implemented now to avoid disaster.
          Not when we deduct EU tariffs, which we won't need to charge. Which is very good news for African farmers in particular, who are currently being shafted by EU tariffs. But then, as a renowned economics guru specializing in world trade, you already knew that...
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

The question I always ask myself is if the EU charges ridiculous tariffs on agricultural products why are Swiss and Norwegian supermarkets so expensive. A clue might be the huge queues of lorries at the border. There are also huge queues of Swiss cars at the border to get over to do their shopping in Germany.

The supermarkets have already stated that prices will go up after Brexit.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
              Not when we deduct EU tariffs, which we won't need to charge. Which is very good news for African farmers in particular, who are currently being shafted by EU tariffs. But then, as a renowned economics guru specializing in world trade, you already knew that...
              And when the UK farmers no longer get their EU money for cereal crops, sugar, dairy, etc, but the supermarkets source everything from Africa, then the British farmers can do something else, but then you already knew that...
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                And when the UK farmers no longer get their EU money for cereal crops, sugar, dairy, etc, but the supermarkets source everything from Africa, then the British farmers can do something else, but then you already knew that...
                I'm looking forward to seeing all those motorway-side farmland UKIP hoardings being chopped up for firewood in the dark days ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                  From what I understand WTO agricultural tariffs are very high but everyone, apart from the UK once it leaves the EU, is in a trading block of some sort, so no-one actually charges them, except the UK of course
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    From what I understand WTO agricultural tariffs are very high but everyone, apart from the UK once it leaves the EU, is in a trading block of some sort, so no-one actually charges them, except the UK of course
                    Any early birds listening to R4's farming program can be entertained by farmers who are already whinging about the government's lack a promise to make good the withdrawal of EU subsidies. Not only that they are also whinging about the possible unfair competition from the USA.
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                      Any early birds listening to R4's farming program can be entertained by farmers who are already whinging about the government's lack a promise to make good the withdrawal of EU subsidies. Not only that they are also whinging about the possible unfair competition from the USA.
                      A bit like the Welsh and those in the South West when they realise that they won’t be getting subsidies from anyone anymore.
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X