• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

I know his unfortunate demise has already been discussed in the celebrities thread but I felt it was worth starting a dedicated thread as I have a couple of Petty themed vignettes to share and I am also a huge fan.

I don't know if any of you ever watch any of those Friday night music themed documentaries that are screened on BBC television. They're of varying quality but some of them are actually quite good and a couple of years back they did one on TPATH which I have on VCR & it was this that I watched again on Friday night whilst enjoying my double haddock and chips.

I'd actually forgotten about this but I love the tale of how Petty became a peacemaker in the making of one of rock's most classic tracks. It was the recording of Walk This Way and ,by all accounts, there was no love lost between the guys from Aerosmith and Run DMC.

Why?

Well, apparently Tyler & co arrived at the warehouse which served as the set for that video to find Run DMC hunched over in a corner ostensibly chasing the dragon or loading up a pipe of crack or something (why this would perturb a band which included Joe Perry is beyond me) and they wouldn't go over and speak to them.

This standoff went on some while until Petty arrived on the scene ( I can't remember if he was part of the production team or just popped in because he happened to be in town) and pointed out that there was no illicit drug use going on but that in fact the two lads were sharing a McDonalds lunch. And then everything was hunky-d & they went on to make that great video.

The other story is from the time they did a lot of stuff with Dylan. Dylan was just like hanging out with TPATH in the studio when Petty walks into a room & finds Dylan just doing this thing with his guitar & repeating the words "don't come around here no more". Petty was, like, Wow! What a line! & it became that great song we all know.

Amizing stuff.

1/10

Try harder...

Comment

When your demise comes (hopefully soon) it will not be unfortunate.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        When your demise comes (hopefully soon) it will not be unfortunate.
        Do you think cojak would accept a bribe?

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

geddown!
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
            finds Dylan just doing this thing with his guitar & repeating the words "don't come around here no more". Petty was, like, Wow! What a line! & it became that great song we all know.

Amizing stuff.
            strange a few posters here are heard saying that
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
              Yes!

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                strange a few posters here are heard saying that
                Wow - a thread about Tom Petty talking about things related to Tom Petty.

May I suggest that if you don't want to read about Tom Petty then you simply don't read a thread about Tom Petty and leave it to those who do want to read something interesting about Tom Petty instead.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  1/10

Try harder...
                  1/2

Try harder...

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
                    Wow - a thread about Tom Petty talking about things related to Tom Petty.

May I suggest that if you don't want to read about Tom Petty then you simply don't read a thread about Tom Petty and leave it to those who do want to read something interesting about Tom Petty instead.
                    What if we want to read an inneresting thread about Tom Petty?

Comment

Working...
                    X