• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Motorway driving explained

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motorway Driving Explained c. 1960
    (Just love 1:10 - 1:30)

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
      Motorway Driving Explained c. 1960
      (Just love 1:10 - 1:30)

Very good - made me laugh at loud. Worth getting to 1:30. Reminds me of the (alleged) Honda motorcycle instructions:

At the rise of the hand of the policeman, stop rapidly.
      Do not pass him by or otherwise disrespect him.

When a passenger of the foot hove in sight, tootle the horn trumpet
      to him melodiously at first. If he still obstacles your passage
      tootle him with vigor and express the word of mouth the warning "Hi! Hi!"

Beware the wandering horse that he shall not take fright as you pass him.
      Do not explode the exhaust box at him. Go soothingly by or stop by the roadside till he pass away.

Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in the roadway.
      Avoid entanglement of dog with your wheel spokes.

Go soothingly on the grease-mud, as there lurk the skid demons.
      Press the brake of the foot as you roll around corners to save the
      collapse and tie up.
      Mind you, I bet originalPM's mum could tell you a think or two about skid demons.

Comment

Go soothingly on the grease-mud, as there lurk the skid demons.
        I shall repeat this mantra to myself every morning on my ride in...

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
          That's where ya wrong!

British Roads FAQ | CBRD

Warning: if you go on that site, kiss goodbye to any work this afternoon, it's the go-to place for anyone interested in Motorways, A-roads, B-roads, and yes, they exist, C-roads.....

There's also a page on interesting junctions....
          I know the site well, and submit a road less than a mile from where I am currently typing this, yet also 228 miles away, as evidence that the system is not logical: Oddities and anomalies | CBRD

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            ANPR cameras aren't licensed for average speed calculations. It'll take the powers that be fifteen to twenty years just to make all the existing regulations that are in some way affected by the EU Brexit-compatible, so it's unlikely that situation will change for at least a quarter of a century.
            This morning I opened a letter that turned out to be from Essex Police.

Apparently, I was doing 61 in a 50 zone ..... that was between Junction 23 and 27 of the M25, last Sunday at 13:10

Bugger. First speeding ticket in 7 years.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post

Apparently, I was doing 61 in a 50 zone ..... that was between Junction 23 and 27 of the M25, last Sunday at 13:10

I did the speed awareness course a few weeks ago, its quite interesting and I've made an effort to drive carefully since the course.

Comment

Better learn to use the TomTom again, tomtomagain......

Comment

Apparently, I was doing 61 in a 50 zone .....

So your speedo probably read closer to 70.

I tend to stick to an indicated 60-ish in a 50 average, which is more like low to mid 50s so within tolerance. No points in 20 years, and I speed every time I drive, if only by a little bit.
                  Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
                    So your speedo probably read closer to 70.

I tend to stick to an indicated 60-ish in a 50 average, which is more like low to mid 50s so within tolerance. No points in 20 years, and I speed every time I drive, if only by a little bit.
                    On my SAC, the tutor woman thing said you are allowed 10% speedo error, plus 3mph (I think) at the discretion if the Chief Constable. And the Chief Constables have been told not to exercise that discretion which is presumably why I was done twice for 34 in a 30. And 81 in a 70. That was 6 points plus SAC inside 6 months after 30 years of nothing. That was five years ago now.

Suppose I had it coming though, I well remember doing Manchester to Rhyl on a second contract I had (two at once for the only time ever) along the M63/A50-something at 110 mph (Audi 200 Quattro Turbo - C100 BNF), and East Kilbride to Carlisle on the M74 at well over 90 all the way (Ford Galaxy MPV - Can't remember reg, Y123 ABC.).

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                      On my SAC, the tutor woman thing said you are allowed 10% speedo error, plus 3mph (I think) at the discretion if the Chief Constable. And the Chief Constables have been told not to exercise that discretion which is presumably why I was done twice for 34 in a 30. And 81 in a 70. That was 6 points plus SAC inside 6 months after 30 years of nothing. That was five years ago now.

Suppose I had it coming though, I well remember doing Manchester to Rhyl on a second contract I had (two at once for the only time ever) along the M63/A50-something at 110 mph (Audi 200 Quattro Turbo - C100 BNF), and East Kilbride to Carlisle on the M74 at well over 90 all the way (Ford Galaxy MPV - Can't remember reg, Y123 ABC.).
                      The regulations say that you can have 10% speedo error, but only over your actual speed. There's no allowance for your speedo to be reading under your actual speed.

So if it shows 70mph, you may really be doing as little as 63mph, but if you're really doing 71mph then your vehicle isn't roadworthy and you can be prosecuted for that as well as speeding.

The ACPO thing allows 10% + 2mph, but it isn't based on any legal allowance for your speedo to be reading under; just allowing for human incompetence, so they can focus on those who are knowingly flouting the law.
                      Last edited by NickFitz; 6 October 2017, 16:15.

Comment

Working...
                      X