• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Catch 22

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Trump is president of the US. That is completely nonsensical.

Catch 22 is not nonsensical It is a simple story but it’s not one you can skim-read.
    Of course it is. What about the chapter where Milo is trading the figs for the half bed sheet? It's intrinsically Quixotic.

Anyhow, my own feeling about the writer's style is that it seems that the words have been shouted onto the page. Not my cup of tea at all but I've just read the chapter about Colonel Schweizkopf, their drill pig in basic training & that was rather amusing so I'll stick with it for now.

Comment

I trust you've picked up that Yossarian is a sane man in an insane world? The book is written deliberately to reflect that paradox. It's not a story as much as an illustration.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        I trust you've picked up that Yossarian is a sane man in an insane world? The book is written deliberately to reflect that paradox. It's not a story as much as an illustration.
        Indeed. I'd definitely suggest persevering with it. It's a wonderful book, and fully deserves its plaudits.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          you have to be crazy to read it though, but then you have to deny having read it.

Comment

Just watch the movie instead.
            Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
              Just watch the movie instead.
              And that's mostly crap so you can turn it off & burn the dvd just to celebrate.

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              Are you sure that wasn’t Fahrenheit 451?
              Nah.

I nuked that from orbit, just to be sure.

Comment

Chapter 9 - fiction becomes reality.

Major Major's father...was a long-limbed farmer..... His speciality was alfafa and he made a good living out of not growing any.

The governament paid him well for every bushel of alfafa he did not grow.

The more alfafa he did not grow, the more money the government gave him and he spent every penny he didn't earn on new land to increase the amount of alfafa he did not produce.
                It's the EU!

Comment

Why the dashes?

Why does Major —- de Coverley’s name have those dashes?! I noticed this earlier in the novel and was hoping that in the chapter titled with his name I would find the answer, but it was never really given. I don’t know if I am looking into things too much, but little things like this bother me when I read a story.

Comment

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
                    Why does Major —- de Coverley’s name have those dashes?! I noticed this earlier in the novel and was hoping that in the chapter titled with his name I would find the answer, but it was never really given. I don’t know if I am looking into things too much, but little things like this bother me when I read a story.
                    (See chapter 13 )

Or

AP English Literature Wiki / Major ------- de Coverley

Why the dashes? | Beth Anne Swartzwelder
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I like the notion that Heller is using an outdated literary trope in which names were often censored to avoid amiguity with any living person and consequently avoid any charges of libel or defamation.

Comment

Working...
                      X