• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Finally a possibly good Brexit outcome

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surprising but true

Always bear in mind the Americans spend more than us per capita on state funded healthcare. Following America would not reduce NHS funding demands on that basis.
    "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

The NHS is probably too much of a political sacred cow to make this kind of change, and it's hard to see that the Tories have the political capital and stomach for this scale of structural change
      Indeed. There are other political sacred cows like welfare and student funding. Sometimes wonder if it's possible to ever have sensible government and democracy at the same time.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        I agree that the funding model will not be changed voluntarily, because the majority of people in this country are thick.
        So it will bumble along to the final crisis, while slowly bankrupting the country.
        If you really want to educate yourself rather than spouting complete tosh, knock youself out:

https://iea.org.uk/media/commonwealt...alth-outcomes/

NHS care 'among the worst in Europe' due to poor investment

https://www.adamsmith.org/blog/healt...-below-average

https://www.sochealth.co.uk/2015/01/...isons-say-nhs/

The NHS is world class – if you ignore its woeful outcomes | City A.M.

NHS is 'worse than healthcare in Ireland, Spain and Slovenia' in new global ranking
        Thanks, some useful info in there.

It still comes down to what in reality can take place, and since you agree the funding model won't change - all of it is currently moot.

Some high scoring countries (e.g. Norway) still perform very poorly in specific (e.g. Testicular) cancers btw...which surprised me!
        Originally posted by Old Greg
        I admit I'm just a lazy, lying cretinous hypocrite and must be going deaf
        ♕Keep calm & carry on♕

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
          Always bear in mind the Americans spend more than us per capita on state funded healthcare. Following America would not reduce NHS funding demands on that basis.
          Indeed they do but that's mostly private spending. If we had an American style system, the NHS wouldn't exist in its current form.
          Getting back to the subject of this thread, perhaps Brexit is the shock the system needs
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Priti Patel calls for May to slash spending and regulations after Brexit - Business Insider

If these ideas lead to the abolition of central funding for the NHS and the adoption of European-style private-public partnership, insurance-based health systems which have much better health outcomes, then something good may come of Brexit after all.
            Do you think she will be in power that long ?
            Warning unicorn meat may give you hallucinations

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              Indeed. There are other political sacred cows like welfare and student funding. Sometimes wonder if it's possible to ever have sensible government and democracy at the same time.
              The thing that pisses me off is the degradation of National Insurance. I am all for a safety net, but people who have paid in according to their income over many years should get a breathing space if they find themselves unemployed or sick. They should not face financial ruin when they get old and have social care needs. Social care is such a mess (including in its funding) that it presents a much easier opportunity (politically speaking) to set up something sustainable and effective.

Comment

Like all cretins you keep digging.
                Fact is the NHS is mid-to-low table among comparable countries.
                And unsustainable in its present form of funding, as will become apparent in a few years.
                Unusually, I agree with you on this one. Although I would say it is apparent NOW that the whole shebang is unsustainable.
                His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by motoukenin View Post
                  Do you think she will be in power that long ?
                  Good question. No, she won't.
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Indeed they do but that's mostly private spending. If we had an American style system, the NHS wouldn't exist in its current form.
                    Getting back to the subject of this thread, perhaps Brexit is the shock the system needs
                    Incredibly, the USA does spend more that the UK on state funded care (presumably mostly Medicare, Medicaid and Veterans).

But nobody wants to follow the US model.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                      Incredibly, the USA does spend more that the UK on state funded care (presumably mostly Medicare, Medicaid and Veterans).

But nobody wants to follow the US model.
                      Per capita?*

Some Tories with business links to the US do want a US model.

*Just checked. Indeed they do. Amazing - they spend the most by far and yet have the worst outcomes of any developed country.
                      Something for the free market idealogues to ponder
                      Last edited by sasguru; 4 October 2017, 10:17.
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X