• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Catalonia

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bee View Post
    In a democracy, the constitution and the laws are made by the population. How many laws in the world were broken and changed to express the desire of the population?

After 60 years under the Spanish rules with disastrous results, Portugal broke the law fighting to be an independent country again and Spain didn't recognize it.

Portugal broke the law in 25 of April in 1975 by refusing to continue under a dictatorship.

Catalunha wanted to do a referendum in peace and was beaten by the Police, in a democracy who broke the law?
    You've hit the nail on the head there, Spanish law's need a majority of Spanish people to change them, Catalonia's will is not the same as the will of the country as a whole
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      You've hit the nail on the head there, Spanish law's need a majority of Spanish people to change them, Catalonia's will is not the same as the will of the country as a whole
      Part of Spain denying the free will of another autonomous part... here we go again...

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        So Spanish law frustrates self-determination - we all know this. They may well find that Catalonia creates its own law and constitution in defiance of Spain. These things happen. The major problem I see is not this in itself but that there is no means of identifying the will of the Catalan people.

Comment

We're not hearing much about French Catalonia, just the wish of the Catalans south of the border to secede from Spain.

Very unlike the Basque struggle which was/is active both sides of the border.

Comment

Problem is the chain reaction

If Catalonia declares independence, Basque country will try to follow soon which crosses the border with France. Corsica will be next and there are many other regions in Europe that have some sort of independence dream.

Scary thing is that Russia is again behind a lot of this, as their aim is to break up the EU and make Europe weak. The Russians were very visible during the Catalonia referendum even joining in protests not even making a secret of their involvement.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
              We're not hearing much about French Catalonia, just the wish of the Catalans south of the border to secede from Spain.

Very unlike the Basque struggle which was/is active both sides of the border.
              French Catalonia is fairly small by comparison with Spanish Catalonia.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post

If Catalonia declares independence, Basque country will try to follow soon which crosses the border with France. Corsica will be next and there are many other regions in Europe that have some sort of independence dream.

Scary thing is that Russia is again behind a lot of this, as their aim is to break up the EU and make Europe weak. The Russians were very visible during the Catalonia referendum even joining in protests not even making a secret of their involvement.
                I'm sure the West is happy to encourage separatism within Russia as well. Either way, it doesn't invalidate the principle of self-determination.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post

Bring back the ancient Kingdom of Wessex!!

Kick all the grockles out!

Comment

Remember Avon ..

Did anyone bat an eyelid when the County of Avon disappeared ? not even the Avon Lady.

End of the day it is clear that the majority of the people of Catalonia want independence, Spain doesn't want that as it is a contributor more than a liability and it doesn't want the Basque region and Galicia to follow suit. Spain has the power behind the police and the military so it's not going to happen.

What I am worried about is the rise of Catalonian terrorism and the less likely rise of a sympathetic military leader in the region (happened in 1981 with tanks on the streets of Valencia).
                    Last edited by sbakoola; 4 October 2017, 11:15.

Comment

Originally posted by sbakoola View Post
                      Did anyone bat an eyelid when the County of Avon disappeared ? not even the Avon Lady.
                      County of Avon was only created in 1974.

Comment

Working...
                      X