• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Catalonia

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bean View Post
    How many times should the Catalans follow the 'legal process' which ends with Rajoy saying no, before considering illegal moves?

Imagine if the UK kept saying no to Scotland.....even if it had public support like with Indy#1
    If there is no constitutional means of a people achieving self-determination, then a people will declare their own state and constitution. One of the many tragedies of this is there has not even been way of determining what the will of the Catalan people is. Last opinion poll was against independence. It will be interesting to see whether the batons and rubber bullets have changed this. But it really needs a proper free and fair vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
      I suppose we have all assumed there is a legal process.

From what I just googled, there isn't - Spanish parliament says no - nothing can be done.

So I guess the question we should be asking is, what is the process?

Well Cornwall (always) & Yorkshire (after the Olympics ) want it. Londoners want(ed?) it after the Brexit vote. Perhaps large cities should be the floor limit?
      The legal process is for 2/3 of the Spanish Parliament to change the constitution to allow a vote. Catalan self-determination is frustrated by the Spanish constitution just as Irish self-determination was frustrated before the creation of the Irish Free State by the UK constitution. When you frustrate self-determination don't be surprised if people act outside of the constitution and law, in this case by attempting to hold a vote.

Comment

Helping of mash.

Spanish government announces plan to balls this up even more
        02-10-17

THE Spanish government has announced further plans for totally ballsing up, it has been confirmed.

Amid scenes of chaos and police violence, the Spanish government has said this is just the start of their plans to totally bollocks up this whole Catalan referendum thing.

Spanish PM Mariano Rajoy said: “The most responsible and democratic thing to do when confronted with a region’s desire for independence is to declare it illegal, throw people in jail and start cracking skulls. That’s just democracy 101.

“But after that, we’re thinking about shooting protesters with rubber bullets, attacking firefighters and telling them that they can’t have ‘El Clasico’ any more if they leave.

“What? We’ve already done all those things?”

“Well then yeah, we’ve done all we can to balls this situation up at this moment in time.”

Catalan Josep Alcaniz Matoses added: “I actually wasn’t sure about us being independent from Spain.”

“But seeing as they’ve said it’s illegal for me to even have a choice and the police are going to kick our heads in for even wanting to, they’re really making the decision for me.”

Comment

Sorry i can't hear you over the sound of the eu roundly condemning of the spanish governments behaviour.

Sorry was that a pin dropping?

Good to see the eu keeping the peace!
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            Sorry i can't hear you over the sound of the eu roundly condemning of the spanish governments behaviour.

It is an internal matter for Spain.

Oddly NI wasn't and isn't an internal matter for the UK.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              It is an internal matter for Spain.

Oddly NI wasn't and isn't an internal matter for the UK.
              Good Friday Agreement.

Comment

Saves you the trouble of bitching about the EUSSR superstate.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                  Saves you the trouble of bitching about the EUSSR superstate.
                  Just waiting for you bremainers to realise what you are in favour of.

Let me see
                  Army.
                  Political wing
                  Flag

beating up its citizens.

sorted.

Comment

Just waiting for you bremainers to realise what you are in favour of.

Let me see
                    Army.
                    Political wing
                    Flag

beating up its citizens.

sorted.
                    I'm not in favour of that. That sounds like the Daily Mail to me.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                      I'm not in favour of that. That sounds like the Daily Mail to me.
                      Ask Drunker next time you see him!

Comment

Working...
                      X