• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Catalonia

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    yeah because we didn't let you have a vote or your own devolved parliament and we use baton charges & rubber bullets to quell the dissenters.
    you read that too?! Awful wasn't it..

The beeb was filled with nothing that happening in Scotland during the time. Just biased editing that made people fly off the handle. Much like what Brexiters now complain about. History repeating etc...
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

More detail in the DT:

In brutal scenes beamed around the world, officers in riot gear fired rubber bullets into crowds and beat would-be voters with batons as they queued at polling stations.

The Catalan government claimed 761 people were injured.

There was widespread condemnation of the Spanish government's attempt to crack down on the vote, which Catalan authorities had called despite the courts ruling it illegal.

However, the European Union remained conspicuously silent on the police tactics, which saw masked officers smash their way into polling stations and forcibly remove ballot boxes.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        you read that too?! Awful wasn't it..

The beeb was filled with nothing that happening in Scotland during the time. Just biased editing that made people fly off the handle. Much like what Brexiters now complain about. History repeating etc...
        Fantasist!
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          More detail in the DT:
          yep, the EU behaving badly again.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

More detail in the DT:
            Don't need to read it it's on the world's media.

It also helps enough Catalonians speak another language so they are on the radio and TV worldwide.

Don't understand how a government can think police beating up firefighters just because they don't want them beating normal people, beating people of all ages who are sitting down and not attacking them, and beating old people looks good?
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

It also helps enough Catalonians speak another language so they are on the radio and TV worldwide.

Don't understand how a government can think police beating up firefighters just because they don't want them beating normal people, beating people of all ages who are sitting down and not attacking them, and beating old people looks good?
              They believe they are doing the right thing - and they believe (probably correctly) that they have the backing of the EU - mainly because if the catalans do get independence they are then going to leave the EU.

And as we know the EU do not like that.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Because the Spanish constitution say's Spain is one country and people are trying to uphold that rather than the wishes of a small sub section of the population
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  Because the Spanish constitution say's Spain is one country and people are trying to uphold that rather than the wishes of a small sub section of the population
                  True but sometimes its better to ignore an issue rather than directly attack it. Police attacking pensioners and others with batons and plastic bullets really doesn't get you anywhere...
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Appalling repression by the Spanish police. Why should Catalans not be allowed to express their desires?

I am all for positive nationalism with people of common cultures being able to follow their own direction. An independent Catalonia, a Kurdish nation, Scotland, Corsica - good luck to them, as long as a) They don't expect the rest of us to prop them up and b) They don't discriminate against those of different backgrounds who live in the regions.
                    c) They follow the correct legal processes. Looks to me that in this case, populist politician sees opportunity to increase his own personal power. Rather like politics world over.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

EU Fascists

First they came for the Catalonians, and I did not speak out—
                      Because I was not from Catalan.

Then they came for the Brexiters, and I did not speak out—
                      Because I was a Remainer.

Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.

Comment

Working...
                      X