• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jealousy - family etc

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
    Quite. I only use facebook to post old photos of rellies to embarrass them. Otherwise facebook is just another way of ignoring people I don't see in real life.
    I have a Facebook account, but just to keep in touch with people as everyone moves around. I wouldn't post things on it. God only knows what drivel PC posts on FB.

Comment

Don't speak to wife's sister because shes got a massive chip on her shoulder how we've got things that she hasn't
      Sounds familiar. My sister's bro in law was the same, totally jealous of his brother's success, got really aggressive and nasty, sent her an abusive letter about a week after he died.

Fortunately my relatives are mostly fairly normal, AKA just annoying, always asking me to do tax returns, websites etc.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Don't get you're lucky as much as I do the: It'll all end in tears! - drives me bonkers,
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

When I got made redundant a few years ago a friend offered to put my CV in at his company. I sent him my CV and my last salary so he would know ball park figures).

Apparently, he flipped his lid and ranted to his wife (my wife's BF) about how I could possibly earn so much when all I did was write programs all day which was easy etc.

His wife replied "If it is so easy and so well paid why don't you do it?"

He stopped ranting.
          "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
            His wife replied "If it is so easy and so well paid why don't you do it?"
            Standard reply when permies moan about us contractors.

I tend to never come clean on how much I earn, downplaying it, after all I am on minimum wage technically.

Only time I've slipped up is when I had a break from contracting and upon returning needed to open a new Ltd and bank account. This was back when a Ltd needed more than 1 person, so I had my dad be company secretary. We went to the bank to open the company account and they wanted to see my contract I'd just secured. During the paperwork checks the bank account manager commented on the projected 3 month figure for the initial contract length, and my dad said in surprise "I wish I could earn that in 3 months". I didn't tell him that was relatively low as I was just getting back into it so wasn't waiting to land a bigger fish.
            Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
              Standard reply when permies moan about us contractors.

I tend to never come clean on how much I earn, downplaying it, after all I am on minimum wage technically.

Only time I've slipped up is when I had a break from contracting and upon returning needed to open a new Ltd and bank account. This was back when a Ltd needed more than 1 person, so I had my dad be company secretary. We went to the bank to open the company account and they wanted to see my contract I'd just secured. During the paperwork checks the bank account manager commented on the projected 3 month figure for the initial contract length, and my dad said in surprise "I wish I could earn that in 3 months". I didn't tell him that was relatively low as I was just getting back into it so wasn't waiting to land a bigger fish.
              My mum is my CoSec (like you, it was needed back in the day). I never took her down the bank when opening accounts. I don't think she was even required to sign anything for the bank.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                My mum is my CoSec (like you, it was needed back in the day). I never took her down the bank when opening accounts. I don't think she was even required to sign anything for the bank.
                So how did you show off to her how much money you make??

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
                  So how did you show off to her how much money you make??
                  Like all true contractors. By driving off in a nice car when she dumped her in a tulipty retirement home.

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

Example - If I ever put something like, "stuck on train station, 7am, freezing and its snowing" or "son wants x for xmas - bargain at £x" I'd get a comment like "dont moan you're lucky to earn that much" or "glad you can afford that". I even had a comment once saying "I bet you earn double what I earn". .
                    Hmm so PC posts mind numbingly tedious brain fart on his FB. Whodda thunk it. Glad we aren't the only ones to suffer them.

They are pretty tedious posts even for facebook though. Who gives a rats ass you stuck at a train station really? Do 200 odd people really want that crap on their feeds. And talking about money on FB. Isn't that in the top 10 of no no's along side pictures of food and those OMG drama but nothing else posts so everyone gives you a hug not having a clue what's going on.

That said none of that will be the problem with SIL. She's just one of those with a chip on her shoulder and nothing you can do is gonna change that. All you can do is ignore her and let it wash over you smug in the knowledge it's driving her nuts. Her problem not yours.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      Hmm so PC posts mind numbingly tedious brain fart on his FB. Whodda thunk it. Glad we aren't the only ones to suffer them.

They are pretty tedious posts even for facebook though. Who gives a rats ass you stuck at a train station really? Do 200 odd people really want that crap on their feeds. And talking about money on FB. Isn't that in the top 10 of no no's along side pictures of food and those OMG drama but nothing else posts so everyone gives you a hug not having a clue what's going on.

That said none of that will be the problem with SIL. She's just one of those with a chip on her shoulder and nothing you can do is gonna change that. All you can do is ignore her and let it wash over you smug in the knowledge it's driving her nuts. Her problem not yours.
                      one day off hasn't improved YOUR mood then

Comment

Working...
                      X