• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jealousy - family etc

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

Number of times I've been called LUCKY. Pisses me right off. Don't speak to wife's sister because shes got a massive chip on her shoulder how we've got things that she hasn't. But apparently its because I'm lucky.

Anyone else get this?
    Not overtly but I accept that many people (think permies) think it's 'unfair' that they make different life decisions to others which manifest into different situations for them. Even in interviews after voluntary summer sabbaticals being quizzed about gaps on my CV.

I'm ready to be called lucky/greedy/unethical with my tax decisions. I have the above response locked and loaded.

I choose to earn standard London BA rates with no kids and a small mortgage because I like having lots of disposable income and investments. I like it so I choose it. If you don't like what you've chosen - maybe choose something else?
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
      Not overtly but I accept that many people (think permies) think it's 'unfair' that they make different life decisions to others which manifest into different situations for them. Even in interviews after voluntary summer sabbaticals being quizzed about gaps on my CV.

I'm ready to be called lucky/greedy/unethical with my tax decisions. I have the above response locked and loaded.

I choose to earn standard London BA rates with no kids and a small mortgage because I like having lots of disposable income and investments. I like it so I choose it. If you don't like what you've chosen - maybe choose something else?
      It's too late for most people when they get above 30 as their mindset for risk and hard work is set.

Anyway I know some well off permies. I also know how much tulip they went through to get were they are.

Yes some of them were given more initial opportunities due to their background, but it doesn't mean they never had to work for it.

I have no shame in telling 14-25 year olds I know off if people offer them help/an opportunity and they say "No". And that before I tell their mother...
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Never really experienced it from family but a couple of friends over the years have shown their true colours when I've lent them money and had to write it off as a lesson learnt.

Strangely no one in my extended family has ever asked for money but have taken it when I've offered it and not always expected it be repaid, depending on the circumstances and amount.

I did have a phase of spending (and losing ) loads on sporty cars and cousins were always wondering what I'd turn up in at family weddings and gatherings, but they always seemed pleased to see me doing well rather than jealous.

These days I've reverted back to an old rule i made about cars, never to spend lots more than 10k or go below 2 litres and only petrol no dirty/dull diesel, so many of my family and friends appear to be doing better with their brand new leased cars on the drip. Not jealous of them though.
        Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
          Never really experienced it from family but a couple of friends over the years have shown their true colours when I've lent them money and had to write it off as a lesson learnt.

Strangely no one in my extended family has ever asked for money but have taken it when I've offered it and not always expected it be repaid, depending on the circumstances and amount.

I did have a phase of spending (and losing ) loads on sporty cars and cousins were always wondering what I'd turn up in at family weddings and gatherings, but they always seemed pleased to see me doing well rather than jealous.

These days I've reverted back to an old rule i made about cars, never to spend lots more than 10k or go below 2 litres and only petrol no dirty/dull diesel, so many of my family and friends appear to be doing better with their brand new leased cars on the drip. Not jealous of them though.
          Not so much lending money but siblings seem to let me and the wife pay for stuff more than they do. They seem to be constantly trying to outdo each other saying how skint they are.

I don't have flash cars but do go on holidays a lot - Florida every year etc. This really seems to grate with SIL in particular.

Sister-in-law is a nightmare. Its a bit sad that she feels the need to be jealous rather than be happy family are doing well. But for some reason it really gets to her even though I make sure I dont boast ever.

Example - If I ever put something like, "stuck on train station, 7am, freezing and its snowing" or "son wants x for xmas - bargain at £x" I'd get a comment like "dont moan you're lucky to earn that much" or "glad you can afford that". I even had a comment once saying "I bet you earn double what I earn". Thing is shes like an office clerk so it was probably much more than double but I didnt let on! In the end it was a bit embarrasing because other friends were looking at her comments and saying to me "who the ***** is x and whats her problem" so it was easier just to delete her on facebook. She winds me up enough in real life (I try to avoid her) so didnt need her winding me on facebook too!

Sad thing is shes not skint. Kids left home, mortgage paid off, her husband was only child and both his parents passed away a few years ago (and they were well minted). For some reason, she still likes to tell people shes skint and has has a huge chip on shoulder. Luckily, my mrs can't stand her either so ee don't see her that much so I just need to be civil on the odd occasion.
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
            Not so much lending money but siblings seem to let me and the wife pay for stuff more than they do. They seem to be constantly trying to outdo each other saying how skint they are.

I don't have flash cars but do go on holidays a lot - Florida every year etc. This really seems to grate with SIL in particular.

Sister-in-law is a nightmare. Its a bit sad that she feels the need to be jealous rather than be happy family are doing well. But for some reason it really gets to her even though I make sure I dont boast ever.

Example - If I ever put something like, "stuck on train station, 7am, freezing and its snowing" or "son wants x for xmas - bargain at £x" I'd get a comment like "dont moan you're lucky to earn that much" or "glad you can afford that". I even had a comment once saying "I bet you earn double what I earn". Thing is shes like an office clerk so it was probably much more than double but I didnt let on! In the end it was a bit embarrasing because other friends were looking at her comments and saying to me "who the ***** is x and whats her problem" so it was easier just to delete her on facebook. She winds me up enough in real life (I try to avoid her) so didnt need her winding me on facebook too!

Sad thing is shes not skint. Kids left home, mortgage paid off, her husband was only child and both his parents passed away a few years ago (and they were well minted). For some reason, she still likes to tell people shes skint and has has a huge chip on shoulder. Luckily, my mrs can't stand her either so ee don't see her that much so I just need to be civil on the odd occasion.
            If you are posting on Facebook...

"stuck on train station, 7am, freezing and its snowing" or "son wants x for xmas - bargain at £x"
            ...you deserve everything you get.

Comment

Anyone else wondering who will play PC in the film version of this epic rags to riches story?

I'm sorry, I'm getting a bit emotional now. No, it's ok, I'm fine. I think someone is cutting onions nearby.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                Anyone else wondering who will play PC in the film version of this epic rags to riches story?

I'm sorry, I'm getting a bit emotional now. No, it's ok, I'm fine. I think someone is cutting onions nearby.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post

Nicholas Cage will do anything since his property investments collapsed.

Comment

I'd be brilliant at it!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                      If you are posting on Facebook...you deserve everything you get.
                      Quite. I only use facebook to post old photos of rellies to embarrass them. Otherwise facebook is just another way of ignoring people I don't see in real life.
                      Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Working...
                      X