• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Employment screening

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Employment screening

I've recently been offered a new contract with a big finance company, the agency setting this up has requested the standard stuff that will be passed onto an external company (VeroScreening) to perform a background check.

Passport
    Proof of address
    Utility bill
    Certificate of incorporation

etc

I am perfectly happy to submit that, I am assuming that they will be most likely interested in Financial and background checks, not declared bankrupt, CCJs, eligibility to work in the UK, proof of who I am, where I live, legitimate company/vat registered etc which there will be no problems.

However the problem is one of the questions, "Do you have any convictions? Including motor?"

A few year ago I was convicted of drink driving and this is my only conviction. Ideally, what is the best course here? Should I disclose it? I know honesty is the best policy, however I do feel somewhat ashamed of this and feel it could go against me. The 4 people I will be working with will most likely be informed of this, something I would also not like them to know.

I asked one of the people who went through the screening process and they said it was instant. So I am wondering if they did not conduct a DBS check?

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Last edited by CoderSaturn; 22 September 2017, 17:55.

Originally posted by CoderSaturn View Post
    I've recently been offered a new contract with a big finance company, the agency setting this up has requested the standard stuff that will be passed onto an external company (VeroScreening) to perform a background check.

Passport
    Proof of address
    Utility bill
    Certificate of incorporation

etc

I am perfectly happy to submit that, I am assuming that they will be most likely interested in Financial and background checks, not declared bankrupt, CCJs, eligibility to work in the UK, proof of who I am, where I live, legitimate company/vat registered etc which there will be no problems.

However the problem is one of the questions, "Do you have any convictions? Including motor?"

A few year ago I was convicted of drink driving and this is my only conviction. Ideally, what is the best course here? Should I disclose it? I know honesty is the best policy, however I do feel somewhat ashamed of this and feel it could go against me. The 4 people I will be working with will most likely be informed of this, something I would also not like them to know.

I asked one of the people who went through the screening process and they said it was instant. So I am wondering if they did not conduct a DBS check?

Any advice would be appreciated.
    You know honesty is the best policy.

Comment

Honesty is the best policy, but it is unlikely that your conviction will be shared with your colleagues.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        Honesty is the best policy, but it is unlikely that your conviction will be shared with your colleagues.
        A nod here and a wink there.

Comment

Originally posted by CoderSaturn View Post
          Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          If you have to go drinking with them, wait until your last day....

Comment

could be a nice little earner if they tell your colleagues then get a decent lawyer!
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by greenlake View Post
              If you have to go drinking with them, give them a lift home aftwards ...
              FTFY
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

How long will my conviction stay on record? - disclose.me.uk

Assuming you didn't go to prison and were over 18 at the time then you only need to declare it if it was within one year. Obviously if you are applying for anything that needs a DBS check or more then you'll have to come clean.

I have one criminal conviction but I didn’t go to prison
                You only have to tell if asked. If you received a fine, and you are asked, you currently have to declare your conviction for 6 months if you were 17 or under when convicted, or 1 year if over 18, from the date of conviction. Applying for a job which involves a DBS check? DBS checks show all convictions whether spent or unspent. However, if you only have one non custodial conviction it will only appear for 6 years if you were under 18 when convicted. If you were over 18 when convicted it will appear for 11 years. However, if the conviction is deemed more serious then it will still appear.
                England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Working...
                X