• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

It’s not a bike race, that would be illegal...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It’s not a bike race, that would be illegal...

Another cycling event is being held near me in a few weeks time. They are not allowed to hold races on the roads without the correct permissions, insurances etc. Instead the events are called “sportivs” and the like.

The latest one has a section called “Awards” and it says:

Although all our rides are non competitive events (i.e. not races), most people still like to know how well they've done. With this in mind we will time each participants ride. When you complete your ride your time will be calculated and these timings, along with the timing Award you achieved, will be displayed on the Website. Each rider will receive a timing award of either; bronze, silver or gold, depending on their average speed.
    So it’s not a race, but they’ll time you and give you an award based on how fast you are going.
    Totally unlike a race then.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Another cycling event is being held near me in a few weeks time. They are not allowed to hold races on the roads without the correct permissions, insurances etc. Instead the events are called “sportivs” and the like.

So it’s not a race, but they’ll time you and give you an award based on how fast you are going.
    The UK has fallen...
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Well yes it is a race - simply because people will want to earn gold times and in doing so will take risks which they would not take if there was no prize for it.

Is there a difference between these and the classic car rallies which are done on open roads - but I suppose you get prizes on those for doing sections in a certain average time - which is only achievable if you stick to the speed limit....

But then you do not see roads closed for classic car rallies!

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
        Well yes it is a race - simply because people will want to earn gold times and in doing so will take risks which they would not take if there was no prize for it.

Is there a difference between these and the classic car rallies which are done on open roads - but I suppose you get prizes on those for doing sections in a certain average time - which is only achievable if you stick to the speed limit....

But then you do not see roads closed for classic car rallies!
        Any of the classic car rallies I’ve been involved in have tended to be about driving in convoy from one place to another and arranging to meet people at certain times in certain places.
        I’ve never been at one which is on public roads as a timed event, if it was, the drivers would need additional insurance for their cars.
        In most cases people are precious about making sure they don’t take risks that would damage the car

Comment

When you complete your ride your time will be calculated and these timings, along with the timing Award you achieved, will be displayed on the Website
          So if they break the speed limit it will be posted on a website with who it was? Don't tell the council...
          "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Any of the classic car rallies I’ve been involved in have tended to be about driving in convoy from one place to another and arranging to meet people at certain times in certain places.
            I’ve never been at one which is on public roads as a timed event, if it was, the drivers would need additional insurance for their cars.
            In most cases people are precious about making sure they don’t take risks that would damage the car
            Do you have one?

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
              So if they break the speed limit it will be posted on a website with who it was? Don't tell the council...
              Most of the roads involved are 60mph. Very few motorised vehicles would go above avg 30mph on them.

Comment

Most of the roads involved are 60mph. Very few motorised vehicles would go above avg 30mph on them.
                I doubt most of the cyclists will be going above 30 so don't worry.

Come on, why don't you just don't it and say "I don't like cyclists on my streets, I want to be able to sit on my fat arse behind other cars only"?

Sportives are not races, although you will find the odd numpty who might try to 'win' but these are viewed with the same contempt as those who leave numbers on their bikes after everts to prove they're serious or something...

Comment

I'm extremely cross about an aspect of this, but haven't decided which aspect yet.

Comment

Another Surrey Nimbyer. Does not want anyone anywhere where they live. Let alone cyclists who can actually travel faster than you despite their bike being cheaper than your car.

Personally I would award prizes according to how much litter each cyclist drops. And how many locals they can p1ss off.

And naming your dog "MilitantCyclistKiller" too.

Why not get retired-major-Rupert to use his machine gun on them?

Comment

Working...
                    X