• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Halal tulipe food

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lance View Post
    As a secular atheist it's not high/even on my list of priorities.
    How about separation of church and state? That's something worthwhile.
    Removing the bishops from the house of lords.
    Repeal of the laws that prevent people from taking the piss out of religion.
    Having humanism taught alongside religion in all schools.
    Ban of state-funded faith schools.
    halal food labelling..... nope. Don't really care.
    Yeah normally these things happen progressively, i.e. Halal food isn't pushed on people, faith schools / institutions lose tax breaks, which might lead to separation of church and state.

The problem here is you and the clique think you have the moral monopoly on what to care about.

Clearly some secular atheists like myself do think Halal shouldn't be the agenda (stealthily in many cases) for secular and other reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
      Yeah normally these things happen progressively, i.e. Halal food isn't pushed on people, faith schools / institutions lose tax breaks, which might lead to separation of church and state.

The problem here is you and the clique think you have the moral monopoly on what to care about.

Clearly some secular atheists like myself do think Halal shouldn't be the agenda (stealthily in many cases) for secular and other reasons.
      I'm not sure I do. Most of my arguments on this thread have been about untruth vs. fact.
      If you have strong views on slaughter and that animals should be stunned then fair enough. Campaign for that.
      Oh and stop eating game pies, and almost all fish.

You do know though that you cannot buy non-halal bread don't you? And that having children is halal? The halal part of the argument is what's bulltulip.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

You do know though that you cannot buy non-halal bread don't you? And that having children is halal?
        Don't assume folk are as thick as yourself.

The halal part of the argument is what's bulltulip.
        Except clearly some folk think it is not.

Comment

Don't assume folk are as thick as yourself.
          Some folk, no matter how often they are presented with evidence/facts, still refuse to accept said evidence/facts.
          And when you ask them to explain their viewpoint, they tie themselves up in knots, or try to twist questions around to avoid answering them.

The repeated claim that Halal is a cruel way of killing, even though it has been pointed out more than once on this thread that over 80% of Halal killings are done on stunned animals - well that’s ignored.
          The claim that Halal killing is some new thing, even though up until half a century ago, that was pretty much how all abattoirs killed the animals - that’s ignored.

So it appears some folk are a lot thicker than Lance, choosing to ignore facts in preference for their dogmatic opinion which they cling onto like a religious belief.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            Some folk, no matter how often they are presented with evidence/facts, still refuse to accept said evidence/facts.
            And when you ask them to explain their viewpoint, they tie themselves up in knots, or try to twist questions around to avoid answering them.

The repeated claim that Halal is a cruel way of killing, even though it has been pointed out more than once on this thread that over 80% of Halal killings are done on stunned animals - well that’s ignored.
            The claim that Halal killing is some new thing, even though up until half a century ago, that was pretty much how all abattoirs killed the animals - that’s ignored.

So it appears some folk are a lot thicker than Lance, choosing to ignore facts in preference for their dogmatic opinion which they cling onto like a religious belief.
            I like the use of past tense.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/halal-and-kosher-slaughter
            • You must stun all animals before you slaughter them unless an animal is being religiously slaughtered for halal or kosher meat.
            • the meat must be intended for consumption by Jews or Muslims

Comment

Halal tulipe food

I like the use of past tense.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/halal-and-kosher-slaughter
              • You must stun all animals before you slaughter them unless an animal is being religiously slaughtered for halal or kosher meat.
              • the meat must be intended for consumption by Jews or Muslims
              So, you’re ignoring the fact that 80% of Halal slaughter is done on stunned animals - you stun them then you kill them.

What is your problem with stunning an animal then killing it?
              The government law does not say that Halal meat must not be stunned.
              The evidence has been provided in this thread to back up the figures.

...but still you don’t want to read facts and evidence, instead you trot out your opinion and extrapolation.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                So, you’re ignoring the fact that 80% of Halal slaughter is done on stunned animals - you stun them then you kill them.

What is your problem with stunning an animal then killing it?
                The government law does not say that Halal meat must not be stunned.
                The evidence has been provided in this thread to back up the figures.

...but still you don’t want to read facts and evidence, instead you trot out your opinion and extrapolation.
                No, evidence from the horses mouth states a special case for ritual slaughter of non-requirement for stunning.

That's good enough for me, as an animal lover and secularist.

Where's the opinion / extrapolation? 20% aren't stunned?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                  The other change in the last 50 years or so is that we have moved to especially cruel intensive farming practices. But as these practices are not associated with a marginalised group, people don't go and see their headtaecher about them.
                  Quite. There are many reasons to legitimately question certain religious practices, but whether or not a prayer is offered up when an animal is killed for eating purposes is way down the list (if it was ever even on the list).
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                    You try finding a non halal vegetable.
                    I think you'll find quite a few are posting on this thread...
                    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

No, evidence from the horses mouth states a special case for ritual slaughter of non-requirement for stunning.

That's good enough for me, as an animal lover and secularist.

Where's the opinion / extrapolation? 20% aren't stunned?
                      Evidence from the RSPCA gives the 80% + figure. Already provided in this thread.

Which is 80% more than the figure for Kosher, but that doesn’t get a thread all of its own, because, well, I’m sure some of you have a reason why you choose to complain about Halal, but have no issue with Kosher.

Comment

Working...
                      X