• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Halal tulipe food

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    What choice did you have when you were at school? How many different methods of slaughter were you knowingly offered?

I am not “keen” on one particular type of slaughter over another, as long as the animal is stunned before hand. Please do not try to twist words that are not there.
    I am actually more concerned about how the animal has been raised, its welfare through its life, the food and chemicals that have been used, etc.

If only you could take that attitude, then you wouldn’t need a trip to the school headmaster.
    It's clear you're keen on halal meat and cannot accept that there should be a non-halal option offered alongside it. So it's your way or no way.

As for taking on particular attitudes, you started it when you forced halal chicken into schools. Tell me, why did you feel it was necessary to do that, when we already had chicken?

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
      The point is I do not care whether the meat is halal or not - I still eat it.

However why should someone not have the choice if they want it?

We have been killing and preparing meat in a non halal fashion for thousands of years - why change it now?

And why, as it has been shown by this thread, if I question why the only meat I can now choose is halal is there an accusation of racism and intolerance?

So to spell it out - the way we used to slaughter cattle has been replaced with a less humane way due to a minorities religion preferences - or to go real base - because an imaginary friend told us to.
      Thousands of years ago, no meat was humanely produced. Man hunted with spears and suchlike, and the kill was almost certainly slow and very unpleasant for the about-to-be supper.
      Within maybe the last fifty years or so, we have developed "humane" methods, and these methods don't necessarily fit with certain religious practices. In the grand scheme of things, it's not as if we've been humanely killing animals for generations, and suddenly forced to change to a barbaric method in order to satisfy a religious group. This is a first world problem. If you object to animal suffering in any form, become a veggie or a vegan. If you choose to eat meat (as I do) then accept there is an unpleasant process involved in bringing the product to your table. The degree of unpleasantness is relative, but unpleasant nonetheless.
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
        He still won't get it.
        It's astonishing that he manages to find employment.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          It's astonishing that he manages to find employment.
          His mum lets him play Civ5 on Sundays if he tidies his room, if that's what you mean.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
            Thousands of years ago, no meat was humanely produced. Man hunted with spears and suchlike, and the kill was almost certainly slow and very unpleasant for the about-to-be supper.
            Within maybe the last fifty years or so, we have developed "humane" methods, and these methods don't necessarily fit with certain religious practices. In the grand scheme of things, it's not as if we've been humanely killing animals for generations, and suddenly forced to change to a barbaric method in order to satisfy a religious group. This is a first world problem. If you object to animal suffering in any form, become a veggie or a vegan. If you choose to eat meat (as I do) then accept there is an unpleasant process involved in bringing the product to your table. The degree of unpleasantness is relative, but unpleasant nonetheless.
            The other change in the last 50 years or so is that we have moved to especially cruel intensive farming practices. But as these practices are not associated with a marginalised group, people don't go and see their headtaecher about them.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
              As for taking on particular attitudes, you started it when you forced halal chicken into schools. Tell me, why did you feel it was necessary to do that, when we already had chicken?
              I’m sorry, I don’t recall me personally forcing halal chicken into schools.

Yes, I do have chickens, currently 3 of them, that were destined for incineration because they were at their peak of profitability at 18 months old.
              They had hardly any feathers and hadn’t see grass in their lives.

They are now happily living out their retirement with no antibiotics or other drugs, able to scratch the ground, eat worms, corn, clover, etc.
              ...and each day we get 2-3 eggs.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                And why, as it has been shown by this thread, if I question why the only meat I can now choose is halal is there an accusation of racism and intolerance?
                If, of all the various animal welfare issues within the meat supply chain, the only issue someone complains about is also the only issue that is related to Muslim religious practice, then within the broader context of anti-Muslim bigotry, it is a reasonable assumption that the complaint is motivated by bigotry.

Comment

what i find astonishing that for a muslim population of 5% , 95% of people have to bend over backwards
                  we are left with no choice but to eat halal food.
                  where is the freedom of choice ?

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
                    what i find astonishing that for a muslim population of 5% , 95% of people have to bend over backwards
                    Apparently asking that question makes you a racist intolerant bigot - according to the twaterati on this board anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
                      If they didn't label it as such, how would you know and would you care?

Have you considered that it was always halal anyway due to where they source it from, and they're simply labelling it as such now for clarity?

Comment

Working...
                      X