• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Halal tulipe food

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What if the animal is a Muslim? Doesn't it have a say on how it's killed and eaten?

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      most Jewish people I've met are pretty pragmatic and would probably be happy to accept stunned kosher meat as a compromise.
      When we reach the sunny uplands of Brexit and have our control back we can legislate for all meat to be stunned and the very few that prefer to taste the fear can import it.
      There are some Orthodox Jews who would disagree. The number is small, but there is an interesting discussion to be had about the extent to which accommodations should be made for minority groups.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
        We're going to meet the headmaster of the school to discuss this. I don't expect much to come of it - having read up on the issue it appears that much of the UK has succumbed to serving halal food in schools. I guess this is the way the country is going.

I will put one thing straight:

Halal killings are cruel. If that's what your religion makes you believe is correct, then so be it. But don't force that down my throat. And if a school or any other public establishment feels it is necessary to serve halal food, then then should also serve un-halal meat. Why pander to one specific religion? Either pander to them all or bow down to none.
        Good on you mate.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
          Within the context of CUK General and broader Internet discourse, it seems pretty unlikely that the one area of farm animal welfare that is singled out also happens to be the one area of the supply chain is a Muslim practice.
          Are you suggesting that CUK posters are committed to 'dog whistle' Muslim bashing? In this case the test would be their thoughts on the general welfare of animals in slaughter houses and I don’t see anyone here wishing anything other than the least painful death possible. The original comment was round the diet of their child being dictated, presumably, as a sop to one religious group. A bit like fish on Friday, but with a condition on how the fish meets its end and that's the bit that's being objected to.

Comment

Will you be raising wider animal welfare standards in the conversation? It's a good opportunity. Take a look at: http://www.theguardian.com/environme...-welfare-farms

Also, worth a conversation as to stunned vs non-stunned slaughter?
            What's wrong with you? Why do you keep on changing the subject?

My problem is around the forced decision to feed all children Halal meat in my kid's school. I don't care if you eat Halal or not; I care that my child is not being allowed a choice of non-Halal meat alongside the Halal option.

Comment

My problem is around the forced decision to feed all children Halal meat in my kid's school. I don't care if you eat Halal or not; I care that my child is not being allowed a choice of non-Halal meat alongside the Halal option.
              If you genuinely care, give your child a packed lunch which meets your religious convictions.

...but if you are going to try to claim it’s about the method of slaughter, get your facts right about stunning before making a fool of yourself in front of the head.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                Yes, because he refuses to understand halal slaughter.

Maybe the headmaster will try to educate him, I doubt it will succeed.
                Ritual slaughter has always been a wedge issue for the far-right and their pathetic fellow travellers.

At its most extreme, it ends up with:

Anti-Jewish decrees

Anti-Jewish decrees

The persecution of the Jews began systematically almost as soon as Hitler came to power. The Nazis established many new anti-Jewish laws. These were introduced slowly at first, so that the civilian population would not realise the extent of the Nazi party's anti-Semitism. Below is a chart showing a small selection of the 2,000 Nazi anti-Jewish decrees passed between 1933-1945. It is uncertain whether Hitler planned to murder the Jews when he came to power. Originally it seems he intended to force them out of Germany but this eventually led to a plan to exterminate the Jews.

Action
                Public burning of books by Jews and anti-Nazis
                Random attacks on Jews and Jewish property
                Police and the courts no longer protect Jews
                April boycotts of Jewish shops - for one day, Germans are told not to buy from shops and business owned by Jews
                SA stand by shops to discourage people from going inside
                'Kosher'- ritual slaughter of animals banned
                Department of Racial Hygiene ('ethnic cleansing') established
                As early as 1927, a Nazi representative in the Reichstag, called on the outlawing of kosher butchering. We are of course nowhere near this point, but it is important to be vigilant as to the direction of travel, and think about who is agitating on Halal in the background.

Comment

This thread exists within a context of broader Internet and CUK discourse of Muslim baiting. I do of course understand why you would want to narrow down the scope of the conversation to avoid this awkwardness.

If you are unhappy with the way this conversation is turning, maybe this isn't the right forum for you.

Comment

Are you going to give your child the choice about whether you go and see the headmaster?

Or do you not actually give a f*** about the child's choice?
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Good to see a lively non-Brexit thread for once.

Comment

Working...
                      X