• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tricky Situation..but I am happy to be in.!! Any advice highly appreciated...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darren_Test View Post
    thanks..

I talked to a colleague of mine who is in similar situation (waiting for SC in the same project/client/agency). He also took another temp role and planned to leave that once SC is done - exactly same strategy as me.

So I believe we both are helping clients desperately looking for resources and helping projects.

BTW my contract-2 got 2 weeks notice only so all looks ideal.
    If a client hired me for a three month forklift infrastructure upgrade, I got two weeks in (pretty much the time it takes to onboard you and familiarise yourself with their infra) and I then handed in my notice, that wouldn't be helpful in the slightest! All doing that does is delay your clients project while you have a couple of easy weeks at a desk learning the specifics of the environment you're in.

Contracting is tough! Whilst you were on the bench you should've been doing what I said earlier; greasing up your contacts, working your LinkedIn profile, hell - go and do some voluntary work! You never know who you may meet as a result of doing things like that.

I've been in a situation where i've been between jobs (not gigs, this was back in permie land) and to cover off some of my shortfall I went and worked on a building site for a few weeks. If you're that desperate for the money, there are better ways to make up the shortfall than shafting clients in our industry.

Oh and one more thing - people with no ethics like you give the rest of us a bad name; if you have a client who doesn't use contractors that often and you screw them over, they are far less likely to consider using a contractor again because they got burnt the first time. So well done - your tulip approach to business doesn't just effect you, but all of us to some extent.

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
      If a client hired me for a three month forklift infrastructure upgrade, I got two weeks in (pretty much the time it takes to onboard you and familiarise yourself with their infra) and I then handed in my notice, that wouldn't be helpful in the slightest! All doing that does is delay your clients project while you have a couple of easy weeks at a desk learning the specifics of the environment you're in.

Contracting is tough! Whilst you were on the bench you should've been doing what I said earlier; greasing up your contacts, working your LinkedIn profile, hell - go and do some voluntary work! You never know who you may meet as a result of doing things like that.

I've been in a situation where i've been between jobs (not gigs, this was back in permie land) and to cover off some of my shortfall I went and worked on a building site for a few weeks. If you're that desperate for the money, there are better ways to make up the shortfall than shafting clients in our industry.

Oh and one more thing - people with no ethics like you give the rest of us a bad name; if you have a client who doesn't use contractors that often and you screw them over, they are far less likely to consider using a contractor again because they got burnt the first time. So well done - your tulip approach to business doesn't just effect you, but all of us to some extent.
      Or you take the contract that is immediately available and stick with it if you can't take the risk of waiting. Having said that, it's not my discipline so maybe a hotshot manager of testers can lick things into shape pretty rapidly and leave a legacy after a short crisp engagement:

Day 1
      - BAM! Found the car park - change at the ready.

Comment

If you have already signed contract 1, are you not reneging on that commitment ? Should you not have thought about the consequences when you signed the contract ?
        Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
          Day 1
          - BAM! Found the car park - change at the ready.
          Nope - Instafail - you forgot the envelope to put it in.

Comment

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
            Nope - Instafail - you forgot the envelope to put it in.
            All set up the night before! BAM!

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
              If you have already signed contract 1, are you not reneging on that commitment ? Should you not have thought about the consequences when you signed the contract ?
              He didn't even read the bloody contract so that would be a negatory good buddy.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                He didn't even read the bloody contract so that would be a negatory good buddy.
                I am reading this one thoroughly before signing it.

Once bitten ....

Comment

Once bitten ....
                  Did they give you the pop-up version?

Comment

Once bitten ....
                    Bit late for that ...
                    You have two options. Option 1 or find a perm role.

Comment

Once bitten ....
                      Are you getting it professionally reviewed?
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X