• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

North Korea: Am I Being Dumb / Missing Something?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mattfx View Post
    Non-nuclear EMP Weapons - How E-Bombs Work | HowStuffWorks

Or if you want to google, the device you're after is a NNEMP (Non-Nuclear EMP)
    Let's rephrase - has this technology / idea been packaged into a deployable and tested weapon, which would be suitable for this idea?

Comment

I'm afraid I can't answer that question!

Comment

I'm afraid I can't answer that question!
        I fear we may be getting to some core issues with your plan.

https://youtu.be/7wu-adBvqj0

Comment

I am sure I am massively over simplifying things, but still....
          There are an estimated 8000 conventional artillery pieces aimed at Seoul, which is a city of 10 million people only 35 miles from the North Korean border.

Many of these'guns have been dug into mountains and fortified over the last 50 years.

If they can each fire, say 2 rounds a minute, and it takes the US and South Korean military one hour to neutralise them ( which would be a big ask ), then they could send 2 * 60 * 8000 = 960,000 shells into a packed city.

That would have a significant impact on Seoul property prices.

Comment

We think we know where the Kim regime are located, we think we know where their stash of nukes and missiles are... No killing needs to happen but surely the question has to be asked; why has the world not considered dropping a few wide spread EMP's in strategic locations to put them into a military stranglehold? It gets rid of the threat, stops all of their nuclear progress to date, with extremely minor loss of life when compared to the possibility of another Korean war. (Or Kim deciding to play "toss the A-bomb" with Japan...)

You're being dumb and missing a lot. If the US were to attack North Korea, the fear is that it would ignite a war, possibly global, possibly nuclear and possibly the last one until the cockroaches develop fission weapons. That fear is what prevents the US attacking North Korea. Same as why they didn't nuke ISIS.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

From Wikipedia:

The range of NNEMP weapons is much less than nuclear EMP. Nearly all NNEMP devices used as weapons require chemical explosives as their initial energy source, producing only 10−6 (one millionth) the energy of nuclear explosives of similar weight. The electromagnetic pulse from NNEMP weapons must come from within the weapon, while nuclear weapons generate EMP as a secondary effect. These facts limit the range of NNEMP weapons, but allow finer target discrimination. The effect of small e-bombs has proven to be sufficient for certain terrorist or military operations. Examples of such operations include the destruction of electronic control systems critical to the operation of many ground vehicles and aircraft.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electr...se_.28NNEMP.29
              So it sounds like they might be good enough for shutting down a few trucks in a village in Afghanistan, but it's not going to be easy to do much with them against an entire heavily-miltarised nation with, one would assume, nuclear weapons installations hardened against such an attack

Comment

NK have been amassing weapons for the past 40 years, a crazy sized stockpile.

Firing a missle over Japan is asking for trouble. Trump's US would have sat that one out.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

For crying out loud, hasn't anyone watched A View to a Kill?

View to a Kill - Mission Briefing - YouTube
                  Last edited by The_Equalizer; 15 September 2017, 13:05.

Comment

We think we know where the Kim regime are located, we think we know where their stash of nukes and missiles are... No killing needs to happen but surely the question has to be asked; why has the world not considered dropping a few wide spread EMP's in strategic locations to put them into a military stranglehold? It gets rid of the threat, stops all of their nuclear progress to date, with extremely minor loss of life when compared to the possibility of another Korean war. (Or Kim deciding to play "toss the A-bomb" with Japan...)

Because there's no oil there.

Comment

Knowing our luck, the only trade deal we'll get will be with Japan and then NK will nuke it.
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X