• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moon Landings

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/de...n/us/off-topic
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
        ok I am skeptical

my reason is, if we could land on the moon in the 60's then why haven't we been back since ?

Milan.
        I went to durham once - wouldnt go back... I suspect its the same thing

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
          Real or faked?

Please state the strongest factor influencing your conclusion.

*yes I'm procrastinating more useful tasks*

EDIT: For the record I was so amazed by Milanbenes suggestion in another thread about the Bitcoin limit being set in a config file that I could determine if he was trolling or not. I figured a quick check on moon-landing hoaxes would determine that or not, if he responded....... The Hook..... The Line..... and the Sinker....
          Im going with real, there are may reasons but one of the biggest ones is that I don't think that many people could be silenced for that amount of time. Especially if you consider that the motive for a faked landing would be "to get there before the Russians" I have never seen anything suggesting that the Russians cast any doubt on the landing at all.

As for the why didn't we go back? Well, we did, there were 17 Apollo missions which resulted in three deaths and six landings - and the famous near miss with Apollo 13 - the tech (and likely attitude towards safety) at the time was not really up to the task, we got there but it was expensive, dangerous and really when you've seen one moon rock you've seen them all so why keep going back?

Comment

Originally posted by Snarf View Post
            Im going with real, there are may reasons but one of the biggest ones is that I don't think that many people could be silenced for that amount of time. Especially if you consider that the motive for a faked landing would be "to get there before the Russians" I have never seen anything suggesting that the Russians cast any doubt on the landing at all.

As for the why didn't we go back? Well, we did, there were 17 Apollo missions which resulted in three deaths and six landings - and the famous near miss with Apollo 13 - the tech (and likely attitude towards safety) at the time was not really up to the task, we got there but it was expensive, dangerous and really when you've seen one moon rock you've seen them all so why keep going back?
            The cold war was a false flag diversion from the one world government.

Comment

Originally posted by Snarf View Post

Well as for the tech not being up to it, do people really think complex calculations couldnt be done in the 60's and early 70's if not for hundreds of years, nay thousands, before?

Building a space craft is really little different to a submarine in that both are pressure vessels to carry humans and must not leak. Sure, there's added differences but nothing really beyond the wit of man.

There wasnt really 17 Apollo missions. Apollo One in which Grissom, Chaffe and Whyte were killed was a ground test. NASA skipped a couple of numbers when flying the Saturn V in test confuguration and uncrewed.

They actually took some massive gambles. Apollo 8 was scheduled to fly with a Lunar Module so there was two engines in case the Service Module didnt ignite. The fact they flew 8 without the LM was due to flight readiness but meant the crew only had one engine and if that didnt fire in lunar orbit, meant they'd stay there for eternity.

Even on subsequent missions, they couldnt test the ascent engine of the LM prior to each mission since the fuel it used literally destroyed it. It was a one use only engine so again, once on the surface, if the ascent engine didnt fire, they were stuck.

But lots of conspiracists reel off the fact a space suit glove cant be made into a fist in a vacuum. Except the suits were not pressurised to sea level. They were pressurised to about 9 psi instead of 14 at sea level.

They say about the flag waving being indicative of air in a studio. Nope, the flag was on a spring loaded pole (if you watch, you can see the flag spring out of the pole). If you move a flag pole back and forth in a vacuum, the flag will still move with a waving effect because of gravity and inertia of the flag movement.

People mention two light sources due to different shadows as proof it was shot in a studio under lights. Nope, different fall of the ground can give the effect of shadows going in slightly different directions.

But the best is the no stars in the lunar sky from the lunar surface and completely blows the conspiracists apart. Just ask them how many stars should you see from Earth's and the moon's surface during the day and why do you think there should be more in the pictures from the lunar surface?

Comment

Originally posted by washed up contractor View Post
                :words:
                Of all the conspiracies, the moon landings are one that truly brings out the absolute stupid in people.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
                  Of all the conspiracies, the moon landings are one that truly brings out the absolute stupid in people.
                  Or stupidity but yes, I agree.

There were no conspiracy theories about the Moon landings until the film Capricorn One, about a faked Mars landing. That film was made 10 years after the first landing and 5 years after the last.

It's not even a good film.

The sci fi 'special effects' in films especially around mid 60's to the early 70's and beyond, were pretty tulipe. That alone should destroy most if not all the 'shot in a film studio' crap.

Comment

There were no conspiracy theories about the Moon landings until the film Capricorn One, about a faked Mars landing. That film was made 10 years after the first landing and 5 years after the last.

The sci fi 'special effects' in films especially around mid 60's to the early 70's and beyond, were pretty tulipe. That alone should destroy most if not all the 'shot in a film studio' crap.
                    Yep, and to keep the Chinese and Russians quiet after all these years is something else entirely!

Comment

We Never Went to the Moon: America's Thirty Billion Dollar Swindle was (self) published in 1976.

Capricorn One was released in 1978.

Comment

Working...
                      X