• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why is undertaking acceptable for cyclists?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is undertaking acceptable for cyclists?

Cycling: Groups call for action on 'car-dooring' - BBC News

If I as a driver undertake another vehicle I am in the wrong, why is it encouraged for cyclists to do the opposite of all other road users.
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

It's quite an interesting career if you're not squeamish about dealing with dead people and grieving relatives.

Not sure whether people who use a certain mode of transport are given preferential treatment, though

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

If I as a driver undertake another vehicle I am in the wrong, why is it encouraged for cyclists to do the opposite of all other road users.
      Okay............. That's exactly what this article was about.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        It's quite an interesting career if you're not squeamish about dealing with dead people and grieving relatives.
        Yep, I loved Dexter too

Comment

It is actually called "filtering".

Both cyclists and motorcyclist are allowed to do so. Motorcyclists due to the fact they travel faster tend to do it on the right hand side, while cyclists do it on the left hand side due to the fact they travel slower, and the fact cycle and bus lanes are on that side also.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Doesn't just apply to passengers opening doors, drivers do it as well.

And if the cyclist was in a cycle lane at the time then they are legitimately undertaking.

If the traffic was stationary at the time, and you'd have to hope it was if they were opening doors, then it's not undertaking, it's filtering and the HWC is less prescriptive about that. It doesn't specifically prohibit it and includes references to extra care being required from drivers when cyclists or motor cyclists maybe be filtering through stationary traffic. c.f. Rule 160 and Rule 211.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I'd be more interested to know why they think it's acceptable to go through a red light, as long as they

a) Look left and right to make sure there's a gap big enough for them to go across the junction, (or)
              b) put one or both feet down for a bit before carrying on cycling, to make them look a bit more 'pedestrian'.
              Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
              "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

Originally posted by rl4engc View Post
                I'd be more interested to know why they think it's acceptable to go through a red light, as long as they

a) Look left and right to make sure there's a gap big enough for them to go across the junction, (or)
                b) put one or both feet down for a bit before carrying on cycling, to make them look a bit more 'pedestrian'.
                For the same reason some car drivers do it, or turn without signalling, or open doors without looking, or use their phones while driving, the same reason pedestrians cross roads against the lights. Because they are twats.

Twats ride bikes, twats drive cars, and lorries, and motor cycles, and walk.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

This was a good read about the crematorium industry (in the states). Some of it was a bit self indulgent but overall interesting

Comment

Buy a bike and go find out.

Comment

Working...
                    X