Posts 21 to 30 of 39

Super poster

TheCyclingProgrammer is NOT a disguised employee

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Itís called filtering.

Filtering should obviously be done with care and only through stationary and slow moving traffic. I do see some cyclists filtering through traffic when itís impossible to see whatís happening ahead (eg if youíre stuck behind a large vehicle) and doing other risky things like going up the inside of a bus but done properly filtering is perfectly safe and legal.

My personal preference is to filter and overtake on the right whenever possible but you have to consider that cycling infrastructure in this country does little to encourage this. Where do they put cycle lanes and bike box entry lanes at lights? On the left hand side.

Filtering on either side still puts you at risk of being doored unless you leave sufficient space.

Fingers like lightning

Big Blue Plymouth 's job has never been outsourced

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post

Filtering on either side still puts you at risk of being doored unless you leave sufficient space.
    And on the left you end up riding through all the crud in the gutter resulting in punctures galore.

Still gathering requirements...

ContractorOnAMotorbike has no reputation

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SueEllen View Post
    It is actually called "filtering".

Both cyclists and motorcyclist are allowed to do so. Motorcyclists due to the fact they travel faster tend to do it on the right hand side, while cyclists do it on the left hand side due to the fact they travel slower, and the fact cycle and bus lanes are on that side also.
    Honest question... If cyclists filter on the left as opposed to the middle like motorcyclists because they are usually slower which is fair enough; are they supposed to give way to motor vehicles at junctions? Give way to a car or lorry turning left for instance?

As a motorcyclist and car driver i always check for cycles before turning but what is the cyclist's responsibility in this scenario?

More time posting than coding

BR14 has more data than eek

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ContractorOnAMotorbike View Post
    Honest question... If cyclists filter on the left as opposed to the middle like motorcyclists because they are usually slower which is fair enough; are they supposed to give way to motor vehicles at junctions? Give way to a car or lorry turning left for instance?

As a motorcyclist and car driver i always check for cycles before turning but what is the cyclist's responsibility in this scenario?
    cyclist's responsibility?? - that's an oxymoron if i ever heard one.

Respect my authoritah!

NotAllThere - scorchio!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SueEllen View Post
    There is no need to in lots of other European countries as they have lots of cycle lanes which don't have parked cars in them or aren't next to the door zone.
    There are plenty of streets that get congested that don't have cycle lanes. Filter one of those, and you're liable to get a ticket.
    You won. Get over it.

--drunk on abuse of power--

I live on CUK

SueEllen is a fount of knowledge

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not to get killed.

If you see a vehicle indicating left it's in front of you so you stay behind it.

If it is a lorry or a bus you don't filter down the left of it. linky
    "Youíre just a bad memory who doesnít know when to go away" JR

I live on CUK

SueEllen is a fount of knowledge

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by NotAllThere View Post
    There are plenty of streets that get congested that don't have cycle lanes. Filter one of those, and you're liable to get a ticket.
    Luckily I'm in the UK then.
    "Youíre just a bad memory who doesnít know when to go away" JR

jds 1981 is good enough for Jehovah!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It will be the same as for motorcyclists. https://www.bikerandbike.co.uk/filte...ike-whats-law/

Would probably come down to assigning fault, if it was slow moving traffic then the car driver should check mirrors before turning. Mirror, signal then maneuver.
    If there's a bike there then you probably need to wait. If busy (London) it might come down to a case of edging out as per normal London special traffic rules...

jds 1981 is good enough for Jehovah!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jds 1981 View Post
    It will be the same as for motorcyclists. https://www.bikerandbike.co.uk/filte...ike-whats-law/

Would probably come down to assigning fault, if it was slow moving traffic then the car driver should check mirrors before turning. Mirror, signal then maneuver.
    If there's a bike there then you probably need to wait. If busy (London) it might come down to a case of edging out as per normal London special traffic rules...
    Probably worth comparing it to turning right when you are on your motorbike. Who do you think would have priority then, who if there was an accident would be at fault?

Godlike

Paddy - scorchio!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Pedestrian dies after Oxford Street cyclist crash

Pedestrian dies after Oxford Street cyclist crash

A 73-year-old woman has died after being struck by a cyclist on London's Oxford Street.

Pedestrian dies after Oxford Street cyclist crash - BBC News
    Brexitentropy...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast