• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

49% support universal basic income

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

49% support universal basic income

Linky

Yet although almost half of people approved of the policy in theory, support for the concept dropped radically when people were asked to consider UBI funding through increased taxation.
    How about instead of increased taxation - increased of collected taxation from the Philip Greens, Tony Blairs and Call-me-Dave's of this world?

In other news - teachers are to be replaced by robots within 10 years...

the Jez King is coming - with his army of snowflakes, and they're growing in numbers... and he's got a dragon as well now...
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    Linky

How about instead of increased taxation - increased of collected taxation from the Philip Greens, Tony Blairs and Call-me-Dave's of this world?
    The only works in countries with a strong economy.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      The only works in countries with a strong economy.
      Scotland, for example?

Comment

shouldnt need increased taxation, significant admin savings in the tax and benfits system come from simplifying them massively and then that money gets diverted into the publics pockets.

Comment

I agree with a universal basic income in concept but wouldn't trust any current political party to implement it in a manner that wasn't an utter shambles

Comment

one question I haven't seen addressed by the UBI argument is . . . . what would be the cost of a pint of milk or a loaf of bread if suppliers knew that every person in the country had a guaranteed income of e.g. £12,000 per year

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              I agree with a universal basic income in concept but wouldn't trust any current political party to implement it in a manner that wasn't an utter shambles
              WTS. They couldn't even roll out universal benefits which is just a refactoring of current benefits.
              I don't know UI necessitates more taxes, surely the whole point is it is just a better system with fewer overheads which can therefore be (or maybe SHOULD be) financially neutral.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                WTS. They couldn't even roll out universal benefits which is just a refactoring of current benefits.
                I don't know UI necessitates more taxes, surely the whole point is it is just a better system with fewer overheads which can therefore be (or maybe SHOULD be) financially neutral.
                I think they should get the robots/AI to do it.
                "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                  I agree with the concept as well. The level of homelessness in such an abundant society is a sign of complete and utter failure of those in charge to do their jobs.

Comment

What a load of rubbish. We'd all like to give away free money and spend cash but just where is the money going to come from? The article mentions an extra cost of £143 billion! We still have a huge deficit, increased demands to spend on other things this is just ridiculous.

Labourites spin this type of rubbish as being able to be paid by the wealthy etc. There are not enough of them to pay for this, any attempt to introduce this will completely bankrupt us.
                    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Working...
                    X