Posts 61 to 65 of 65

Contractor Among Contractors

ladymuck 's job has never been outsourced

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    I like the idea of a gender neutral uniform. Up to puberty, it shouldn't make the blindest bit of difference whether kids are boys or girls.
    I think it was in response to some school saying girls couldn't wear skirts and everyone had to wear trousers. My idea of gender neutral is to offer a range of clothing guidelines and say "take your pick", there is no need to be prescriptive. However, that won't help against the trendy parents who actively dress their children in clothes commonly associated with the opposite sex.

I seem to recall that all children, up to maybe 5 or 6, were put in dresses back in days gone by. Practical as it's easier to mop after they have an accident.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own - Adam Savage
    Me on LinkedIn | 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

I live on CUK

SueEllen is a fount of knowledge

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bee View Post
    I suspect that this is a transgender issue, not the religion.
    It was the parents interpretation of the religion that is at odds with the school's.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

TPAFKAk2p2

mudskipper is a fount of knowledge

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ladymuck View Post
    I think it was in response to some school saying girls couldn't wear skirts and everyone had to wear trousers. My idea of gender neutral is to offer a range of clothing guidelines and say "take your pick", there is no need to be prescriptive. However, that won't help against the trendy parents who actively dress their children in clothes commonly associated with the opposite sex.

I seem to recall that all children, up to maybe 5 or 6, were put in dresses back in days gone by. Practical as it's easier to mop after they have an accident.
    In History: Why little boys wore dresses | Life & Times | heraldbulletin.com

I live on CUK

SueEllen is a fount of knowledge

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ladymuck View Post
    It's nothing to do with being trendy it's because there isn't a good reason for telling a little boy he can't wear a skirt or dress.

As far as kids who haven't reached puberty, especially little ones, are concerned there isn't any difference between a boy and a girl so if they want to wear something whether it is a skirt, nail varnish, ballet shoes with spots on it that look like giraffes or a fairy dress then they let them. Boys tend to grow out of wanting to wear skirts and dresses by around 7 anyway.

In regards to whether this little boy is really transgender only time will tell....
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Contractor Among Contractors

ladymuck 's job has never been outsourced

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SueEllen View Post
    It's nothing to do with being trendy it's because there isn't a good reason for telling a little boy he can't wear a skirt or dress.

As far as kids who haven't reached puberty, especially little ones, are concerned there isn't any difference between a boy and a girl so if they want to wear something whether it is a skirt, nail varnish, ballet shoes with spots on it that look like giraffes or a fairy dress then they let them. Boys tend to grow out of wanting to wear skirts and dresses by around 7 anyway.

In regards to whether this little boy is really transgender only time will tell....
    That really wasn't the point I was making. I was picking on parents who will dress their children a certain way to make a point (hence my use of "actively") as opposed to simply allowing their kids to wear what they feel comfortable in.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own - Adam Savage
    Me on LinkedIn | 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7