Those religious people again...
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Posts 21 to 30 of 65
  1. #21

    More fingers than teeth

    darmstadt - scorchio!

    darmstadt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    The Eurozone
    Posts
    13,397
    Thanks (Given)
    39
    Thanks (Received)
    327
    Likes (Given)
    189
    Likes (Received)
    1286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Getting back on topic, Hindus are becoming increasingly paranoid about cows and have recently lynched and killed several muslims who were said to be eating them, or looked like they might be thinking about eating beef.

    As I haven't heard of any Christians being targeted, the cows may just be a pretext to attack muslims. But as the population of India continues to increase, it probably won't be long before they're all at each others' throats or going at it hammer and tongs with Pakistan.
    Well the Buddhist and Hindu peoples are having a good go at the Muslims in Myanmar: https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...hnic-cleansing
    Pants are no good unless they stick to the wall after you've taken them off.

  2. #22

    Double Godlike!

    xoggoth - scorchio!

    xoggoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    xoggoth towers
    Posts
    12,200
    Thanks (Given)
    2
    Thanks (Received)
    394
    Likes (Given)
    128
    Likes (Received)
    1238

    Default

    I like the idea of a gender neutral uniform. Up to puberty, it shouldn't make the blindest bit of difference whether kids are boys or girls.
    But surely distinct psychological differences exist before puberty? I don't think the fact that girls like playing with dolls and boys like pretending to shoot people are unnatural traits enforced on them.
    bloggoth

    If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

  3. #23

    TPAFKAk2p2

    mudskipper is a fount of knowledge

    mudskipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Null island
    Posts
    24,784
    Thanks (Given)
    811
    Thanks (Received)
    1368
    Likes (Given)
    6259
    Likes (Received)
    4902

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xoggoth View Post
    But surely distinct psychological differences exist before puberty? I don't think the fact that girls like playing with dolls and boys like pretending to shoot people are unnatural traits enforced on them.
    Possibly, possibly not. It's very difficult to be sure as we all treat boys and girls differently, and that's pretty much universal. "Isn't she pretty?" "What a big, strong boy". When gender roles are reinforced from birth it's very difficult to know how kids would behave if no-one knew what gender they were. It's not an experiment I'd try on my kids, but I did see one couple on telly who had done that - they gave their child a neutral name and refused to tell anyone what gender it was. It was only after it started school that it knew it was a 'boy'.

    I suspect it's both, but 'nurture' probably pays a very strong role.

    Edit: Found the story

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/9028...reotyping.html

  4. #24

    Old Greg is my bitch's bitch

    northernladyuk - scorchio!

    northernladyuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Working the streets of your imagination
    Posts
    8,000
    Thanks (Given)
    1095
    Thanks (Received)
    580
    Likes (Given)
    397
    Likes (Received)
    2237

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    All religions are nuts, but not equally:

    How is the Myanmar ethnic cleansing coming along?
    Where there's muck there's brass.

  5. #25

    Godlike

    original PM - scorchio!

    original PM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    9,045
    Thanks (Given)
    23
    Thanks (Received)
    294
    Likes (Given)
    73
    Likes (Received)
    1298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladyuk View Post
    How is the Myanmar ethnic cleansing coming along?
    Strange as it may seem there is a difference between ethnic cleansing and terrorism....

    Not sure exactly what the difference us but suffice to say I think they are not bombing people and so do not appear on the really rather vile bombathon posters....

    Each to their own I guess....

  6. #26

    Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

    WTFH is a fount of knowledge

    WTFH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    10,336
    Thanks (Given)
    135
    Thanks (Received)
    1384
    Likes (Given)
    1134
    Likes (Received)
    3708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by original PM View Post
    Strange as it may seem there is a difference between ethnic cleansing and terrorism....

    Not sure exactly what the difference us but suffice to say I think they are not bombing people and so do not appear on the really rather vile bombathon posters....

    Each to their own I guess....
    There isn't a difference, but those posters are only interested in showing one particular viewpoint.
    Killing civilians at random is terrorism. Ethnic cleansing is terrorism.

    But maybe if the poster makers aren't interested in that, perhaps they could include the number of US citizens killed by other US citizens with guns in the same timeframe (and break it down by perceived religion)
    Strong and Stable Moderation

  7. #27

    Old Greg is my bitch's bitch

    northernladyuk - scorchio!

    northernladyuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Working the streets of your imagination
    Posts
    8,000
    Thanks (Given)
    1095
    Thanks (Received)
    580
    Likes (Given)
    397
    Likes (Received)
    2237

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by original PM View Post
    Strange as it may seem there is a difference between ethnic cleansing and terrorism....

    Not sure exactly what the difference us but suffice to say I think they are not bombing people and so do not appear on the really rather vile bombathon posters....

    Each to their own I guess....
    In what way is terrorism not a component of the Myanmar ethnic cleansing?

    terrorism
    ˈtɛrərɪzəm/Submit
    noun
    the unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.
    Where there's muck there's brass.

  8. #28

    Godlike

    original PM - scorchio!

    original PM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    9,045
    Thanks (Given)
    23
    Thanks (Received)
    294
    Likes (Given)
    73
    Likes (Received)
    1298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WTFH View Post
    There isn't a difference, but those posters are only interested in showing one particular viewpoint.
    Killing civilians at random is terrorism. Ethnic cleansing is terrorism.

    But maybe if the poster makers aren't interested in that, perhaps they could include the number of US citizens killed by other US citizens with guns in the same timeframe (and break it down by perceived religion)
    The main difference if you read the BBC report is actually they are just deporting illegal immigrants who have already started a 'war' by killing 9 soldiers.

    Myanmar wants ethnic cleansing of Rohingya - UN official - BBC News

    So you could argue

    1) Killing a bunch of kids in their native country who have lived their all their lives and just wanted to go to a pop concert - terrorism

    2) Removing illegal immigrants from your country - ethnic cleansing


    They are different but equally shocking.

  9. #29

    Old Greg is my bitch's bitch

    northernladyuk - scorchio!

    northernladyuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Working the streets of your imagination
    Posts
    8,000
    Thanks (Given)
    1095
    Thanks (Received)
    580
    Likes (Given)
    397
    Likes (Received)
    2237

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by original PM View Post
    The main difference if you read the BBC report is actually they are just deporting illegal immigrants who have already started a 'war' by killing 9 soldiers.

    Myanmar wants ethnic cleansing of Rohingya - UN official - BBC News

    So you could argue

    1) Killing a bunch of kids in their native country who have lived their all their lives and just wanted to go to a pop concert - terrorism

    2) Removing illegal immigrants from your country - ethnic cleansing


    They are different but equally shocking.
    Illegal immigrants? You really are a wank stain. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rohingya_people
    Where there's muck there's brass.

  10. #30

    Godlike

    original PM - scorchio!

    original PM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cheshire
    Posts
    9,045
    Thanks (Given)
    23
    Thanks (Received)
    294
    Likes (Given)
    73
    Likes (Received)
    1298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladyuk View Post
    Illegal immigrants? You really are a wank stain. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rohingya_people
    Quite from the BBC website

    "The Rohingya, who number about one million, are seen by many of Myanmar's Buddhist majority as illegal migrants from Bangladesh."

    So not my words you cock rocket.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.