• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Place yer bets looks like a second referendum is coming

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    Spot-on. It'll be seen as an attempted stitch-up (which it basically is).
    The People did not know what they were voting for. I still don't even know what then plan 1 year later. No one does. No even knows what the UK and EU future relationship will look like. MP's are desperate to undo Carmoran's mess.

It was an advisory vote and people voted against the establishment. Two strikes that had nothing to do with our relationship with the EU.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      The People did not know what they were voting for.
      Yes they did. I specifically remember as it was written on the ballot paper:

[ ] Leave the EU
      [ ] Remain in the EU

After that it's up to our elected govt. work out the details. Pig Face assumed everyone would vote Stay and so he didn't even get any Civil Servants working on a 'backup' plan in the event of a Brexit vote.
      Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
      "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

Originally posted by rl4engc View Post
        Don't worry your little self, the country is going to be fine. There's been two important near misses in the last year or so;

The first was avoiding staying in the EU.
        The second was avoiding Komrade Korbyn getting into power.

Luckily in both cases it was common sense that prevailed over youth, ignorance and the self-interested 'elite'.
        But the Corbyn Meteor is on an elliptic orbit, and may approach the UK closer or even collide with it next time round.

However, it could equally well be deflected or safely blown apart by a load of disenchanted students misled last time by Corbyn's mumbling about cancelling student debts, and by hordes of former UKIPers reassured last time by his Brexit stance but now appalled and worried about unstable wobbles in Labour's Brexit attitude.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by rl4engc View Post
          Yes they did. I specifically remember as it was written on the ballot paper:
          So you voted for a divorce payment of billions? You voted to give up the fruits of scientific projects? You voted to give up access to the EU financial markets? And so on...

No know's what Brexit meant or means.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

So you voted for a divorce payment of billions? You voted to give up the fruits of scientific projects? You voted to give up access to the EU financial markets? And so on...

I believe the vote was to leave the EU, pretty simple. You can't keep on voting until you get what you want, oh hang on you can if you are the EU. They have a history of this kind of thing.

Comment

the vote was advisory

Comment

I don't see anything wrong with a one off payment to see our partners right. In my estimation its no worse than suddenly finding a few tens of billion down the back of the sofa to fund liberating the poor Iraqis...

That said being given a figure that has no legal basis is a bit cheeky.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
                  I don't see anything wrong with a one off payment to see our partners right. In my estimation its no worse than suddenly finding a few tens of billion down the back of the sofa to fund liberating the poor Iraqis...

That said being given a figure that has no legal basis is a bit cheeky.
                  I'm obviously not up to date with the news. Did EU finally come out with a figure?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                    I'm obviously not up to date with the news. Did EU finally come out with a figure?
                    Apparently they were serious about the £100 billion

Figures probably more like 30 but still not sure how one sells our share of assets and claims the capital gain on things like the Parliament buildings

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
                      Apparently they were serious about the £100 billion
                      What is your source for that figure?

Comment

Working...
                      X