• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tatties

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Made some raised beds last winter and they have made a big difference. Grew Runner Beans, Toms (went mad due to lack of pruning), carrots, onions and beetroot. Sweetcorn disappointed this year. Gonna try spuds next year

Anyone got any good tips for things to grow over the winter.
    We got the Oystons out like we said we would

Comment

this is the thing with pumpkins, in the UK we only know about hollowing them out for Halloween, but actually, they are a little secret, they make the most amazing soup, and one pumpkin can make enough soup to feed a family for a week !

amazing

I've got runner been seeds that my dad grew from seeds from his dad - how cool is that - for 3 generations they've been producing !

I love this gardening it is sooo relaxing, even just sitting there and watering and watching it all grow

It's also an amazing feeling, I've got enough space (acre and a 1/4) if I wanted to I could feed my family all year long

My vegy patch is about 60m2 at the moment, what's the size of your vegy patch ?

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by Hertsseasider View Post
        Made some raised beds last winter and they have made a big difference. Grew Runner Beans, Toms (went mad due to lack of pruning), carrots, onions and beetroot. Sweetcorn disappointed this year. Gonna try spuds next year

Anyone got any good tips for things to grow over the winter.
        garlic, and get this book

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vegetable-G...month+by+month

Milan.

Comment

My veg patch is now a green desert that I mow from time to time.

I chucked some sprouting spuds into a little patch up by the house & am about to see how they've done.

The goddamn raspberries are trying to take over the garden.

The gooseberry plants look like they're on their last legs.

The blackcurrants were appreciated by the birds.

The pear tree has fireblight.

The apples have now finished, thank feck, after about 5 cwt ended up in the compost heap.

The greenhouse (the one that remains in ZeityGardens rather than ZeityPater's which got dismantled last year) is full of brambles.

Oh, and the honeysuckle is due another Agent Orangeing.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
            The apples have now finished, thank feck, after about 5 cwt ended up in the compost heap.
            Oh dear!

There's plenty of cider makers who offer to come round and collect all your unwanted apples and take them away for free!

What a waste!
            Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
            "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

We got very lucky, must have 1/4 of an acre here. Bought house in 1999 in Bristol for 60, sold for 250. Moved into rented for a few years, moved away from Bristol and settled in Bucks and found a do-er upper. Massive garden and room to extend the 3 bed house that needed gutting for 400K. House and gardens still need working on a lot but I wanted space more than a nicely done up house. First thing I did was dig up three veg patches in the garden. Greenhouse is just a small one, think it is 8 x 6 foot. It has plastic windows as was worried about the kids around it when they were small. It has lasted me well, about £300 and nearly 8 years old and have moved it twice. Want a bigger one and one with glass windows too. Got more things to spend money on first though!

Comment

Originally posted by rl4engc View Post
                Oh dear!

There's plenty of cider makers who offer to come round and collect all your unwanted apples and take them away for free!

What a waste!
                not round here there aren't! unfortunately.
                two trees worth of waste here :-(

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
                  Want a bigger one and one with glass windows too.
                  Why glass? My elderly mum slipped and fell in her greenhouse, cutting her hand (could've been much worse ) I replaced all the side panels with perspex. Don't think I'd have anything else when I get mine, can't really see any down sides? Scratches more easily? Not too fussed.
                  Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
                  "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                    Nice one mate. Just Amazoned it.
                    We got the Oystons out like we said we would

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
                      Got a lot of chillies coming, hope they ripen before it gets too cold as Mrs admin won't be pleased if I have to bring them all inside.
                      This is my first year with chillies, I've got a couple in a pot outside. I think I put them out too late and some are just not growing.
                      I had to cut a few off last night as some pesky insect had gone through them and cut a couple of others, washed and frozen.
                      Not sure when the right time to pick is, but I'm going to go better at them next year.

Comment

Working...
                      X