• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

B&Bs & places to lodge near central Bristol (with parking)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

B&Bs & places to lodge near central Bristol (with parking)

Had an interview on Friday for a clientco very near Bristol Temple Meads station.

If offered the gig (which I won't know until at least Wednesday) I'll almost certainly accept it, which brings me to the question. ..

As I don't fancy spending a tenner a day in a long-stay car park, I'll be looking for a B&B for the first couple of weeks and thereafter, if all goes well, Monday-to-Thursday lodgings in a private house.

(I don't do rail commuting, and anyway from where I live that would be at least as expensive as staying in local lodgings, and far more time-consuming.)

So does anyone familiar with Bristol have ideas on nice areas as close as possible (within say a half an hour's walk) to Temple Meads?

Likewise, areas to avoid? (I know St Pauls is one of the latter!)

Looking at Google Maps, it seems like somewhere just south of the Avon, e.g. Bedminster, Victoria Park, or Totterdown, would be ideal distance wise. But are these districts crime-ridden war zones?

The "nice area" needn't be full of vibrant pubs and restaurants and all that, just residential streets where there's a good chance that when I leave the house in the morning my car will still be there, with all its wheels.

TIA
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Had an interview on Friday for a clientco very near Bristol Temple Meads station.

If offered the gig (which I won't know until at least Wednesday) I'll almost certainly accept it, which brings me to the question. ..

As I don't fancy spending a tenner a day in a long-stay car park, I'll be looking for a B&B for the first couple of weeks and thereafter, if all goes well, Monday-to-Thursday lodgings in a private house.

(I don't do rail commuting, and anyway from where I live that would be at least as expensive as staying in local lodgings, and far more time-consuming.)

So does anyone familiar with Bristol have ideas on nice areas as close as possible (within say a half an hour's walk) to Temple Meads?

Likewise, areas to avoid? (I know St Pauls is one of the latter!)

Looking at Google Maps, it seems like somewhere just south of the Avon, e.g. Bedminster, Victoria Park, or Totterdown, would be ideal distance wise. But are these districts crime-ridden war zones?

The "nice area" needn't be full of vibrant pubs and restaurants and all that, just residential streets where there's a good chance that when I leave the house in the morning my car will still be there, with all its wheels.

TIA
    Family members have a nice self-enclosed airbnb flat, but obviously I'm not going to inflict you on them.

So, the centre is good, as is the Gloucester Road area. Clifton is very nice but may be a bit to much of a walk.

Comment

I worked in Bristol for eight months a few years ago and stayed in the Montpelier area, around Cheltenham Road and Gloucester Road. You'd have to walk through Stokes Croft to get to and from Temple Meads but if you can stand passing through that hotbed of countercultural activity, I'd say that area's worth looking at. It took me about twenty minutes to amble down to Passage Street, which is in the Temple Meads area.

There's an alternative route that would save you about five or ten minutes of walking each way, but that takes you through St. Paul's, so you may prefer to get the extra exercise
      Last edited by NickFitz; 4 September 2017, 16:43. Reason: Add walking time.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
        Family members have a nice self-enclosed airbnb flat, but obviously I'm not going to inflict you on them.

So, the centre is good, as is the Gloucester Road area. Clifton is very nice but may be a bit to much of a walk.
        Admin, could you consider adding a "Thanks, I think" button
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Just as easy to stay somewhere nice and get a local train into temple meads.

All the areas you mentioned are worthy of carpet bombing.
          But the whiteladies road and Clifton areas are the nicest parts.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
            Just as easy to stay somewhere nice and get a local train into temple meads.
            Trains are hell
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Trains are hell
              It's one stop from bath spa to temple meads. I know where I would rather stay...

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
                It's one stop from bath spa to temple meads. I know where I would rather stay...
                No, it's one stop from Keynsham. Probably a better idea for accommodation and the station is a lot easier to get to.

Totterdown isn't all that bad if you go a little bit north rather than up the Wells Road, or perhaps look towards Redcliffe... Or go out towards Southmead and train it in from there.

Bottom line is that the best bits of Bristol are the opposite side of the city centre.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I used to stay in the Arnos Manor Hotel when I was in Bristol - free parking for the car and then catch the bus from outside the hotel into the Town Centre

They did do a winter special of £25 @ night but think it's currently circa £50@ night & worth keeping an eye out for

HTH

Comment

Bedminster, Victoria Park, or Totterdown

you'd best avoid those three

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                    X