• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ignoring economics.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The_Equalizer View Post
    Yep and it's a new shiny ferry from what I understand from the chap next to me. It would make quite a comically duty-free trip:

"The journey time is approximately 15-20 minutes."

Carlingford Ferry
    It had better have a bar and disco.

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
      Has anyone seen Woozie and Shaunbhoy together? My suspicion is they are one and the same person.

OK, maybe they're twins...
      3 mistakes in a line and a half. You're really on a roll.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        Someone elsewhere commented over the weekend that the remainers are still in denial..
        It's really the other way.

Being in denial implies there is something that is real but someone cannot accept it. In the case of Brexit it is the Leave voters who one can argue are in denial. They thought they voted for something. They thought the votes were counted and it was therefore a done deal. What they are now in denial over is the fact whatever they were thinking of almost certainly won't happen. The vote was for something impossible. It was impossible because no-one knew what it meant but more importantly it is impossible because as we start moving towards what it might have meant, too many people - influential people - are resisting it because of the significant damage it will cause for no identified benefit.

Just to re-emphasise: as things stand, the downsides are streaming out like rats from a sinking ship. The benefits: eerie silence.*

So I suggest we are not in denial; we are refuting the result of the Referendum. We agree the numbers but not the ultimate outcome.

* just to snuff out any free trade justifications: we periodically get this kind of thing:
        Based on buying goods/services from outside the EU cheaper than we do know. Selling to countries without being restricted by a custom union. Ability to create trade deals, if we want to, with other countries. Less bureaucracy, red tape etc.
        A few breazy words do not explain anything. They are anodyne and make Woozie etc feel...woozy, but we currently trade with anyone and everyone and have the bargaining power of one of the biggest blocs in the world. There are restrictions but they have been designed to act in the overall favour of countries like us (on average) ie countries with people who don't want to eat chlorinated chicken. Countries with expensive Western overheads who don't want their fragile industries and agriculture taken to the cleaners by third world bread line standards or foreign states corrupting competition by unfair subsidies etc. Red tape is minimised and a huge amount of trade bureaucracy is reduced because it is shared amongst 27 countries.

It's just blind religion to say UK trade deals will make us all happy. There are economic arguments in favour (eg unilateral tariff removal) but I would say the majority of economists do not support them. Posters are free to make their points. But they don't. They just trot out facile sentences that they think prove everything slam-dunk whereas they are just opening remarks of the Prosecution. We wait for the case to develop. But so far...nothing
        "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
          It's really the other way.
          What are the Brexiters in denial about? They voted to leave the EU and we will be leaving the EU for the unknown but most of them don't care as Johnny Foreigner will be leaving*

I suppose you could say they are denial that the destination is unknown but I suspect they know this and either being retired or poor they don't care as it won't really impact them.

* we all know this isn't true but that's what they believe they have voted for....
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            What are the Brexiters in denial about? They voted to leave the EU and we will be leaving the EU for the unknown but most of them don't care as Johnny Foreigner will be leaving*

I suppose you could say they are denial that the destination is unknown but I suspect they know this and either being retired or poor they don't care as it won't really impact them.

* we all know this isn't true but that's what they believe they have voted for....
            Some Brexiteers seem to be in denial in that they think that Brexit will bring prosperity to the UK.

Comment

Does anyone think Brexit is really going to happen ?

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                Some Brexiteers seem to be in denial in that they think that Brexit will bring prosperity to the UK.
                Meh I'm making sure my income comes mainly in €€€ and $$$ - but I was anyway the world is a big market and its not difficult to make enough with a suitable skill set and a bit of thought...
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                  Well no that's not all of it by a long way but what continually grates is the assertion we can't make a living without being in the EU. It's not the"brexiteers" that are in denial
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                    Well no that's not all of it by a long way but what continually grates is the assertion we can't make a living without being in the EU. It's not the"brexiteers" that are in denial
                    We can always "make a living". People in the poorest African countries "make a living".
                    The issue is that "real" Brexit a.k.a. "hard" Brexit (out of the SM and CU) will most likely make "making a living" harder for many people.
                    So will a genuine "hard" Brexit happen? It's unlikely. A fudge like EFTA or similar is the most likely outcome.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                      There are people that live their lives in fear, they see change as bad. Obviously, I won't name but there are also stupid people, they should have a lock on their keyboard.

Comment

Working...
                      X