• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ignoring economics.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=radish2008;2465594]
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    1. Can't see this being affected much, much of employment law etc are now part of case law etc. If anything the EU seems to be making

4. EU will still sell to the UK, even with tariffs. If anything goods from outside of the EU will be cheaper.
    QUOTE]

The danger with 1 is that the gov is trying to stifle scrutiny and is trying to pass a law saying they will keep existing laws but may remove then whenever they want. Companies will lobby for rights to be removed and there must be a mechanism to stop them.

For 4 if goods outside the EU will be cheaper why aren't they now ? We buy lots of stuff from outside already ?
    That would be the EU tariffs we have to impose as members of the EU. Up to 35% on food (thanks to the French) so when we're out they will be part of our negotiations with our new trading partners.
    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

It seems the main thing to come out of this thread is that leaving the EU has given a voice to the negative, depressive people on here.

So far, its seems the concerns are...

1. Employment rights.
      2. Government focus on Brexit and not on other important issues.
      3. Make it harder for EU nationals to come to the UK.
      4. Reduce the variety of goods.
      5. Stuck with Westminster government elite rather than EU elite.

So...
      1. Can't see this being affected much, much of employment law etc are now part of case law etc. If anything the EU seems to be making it easier to hire/fire and lowering wages to become more economic.
      2. I'm sure they can focus on more than one thing at a time.
      3. But they can still come, I hope some kind of points system is implemented so we can get highly skilled people. But the whole migration issue needs to be tackled not just the EU.
      4. EU will still sell to the UK, even with tariffs. If anything goods from outside of the EU will be cheaper.
      5. Rock and hard place.
      Number 5 for me. The UK political elite is a particularly rapacious bunch. The UK is ripe now for remodelling to fit with an Objectivist world view. There are going to be a lot of angry people when they realise whose Brexit this is.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post

That would be the EU tariffs we have to impose as members of the EU. Up to 35% on food (thanks to the French) so when we're out they will be part of our negotiations with our new trading partners.
        hmmm. chlorinated chicken......
        beef with more hormones that NLYUK's last HRT.....
        inedible American candies......

insects... actually I'm looking forward to those.... as well as the extra fish we can't sell to the EU....

And if Rees-Mogg gets his way - Soylent Green.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
          1. Case law doesn't take precedent over a new explicit law
          2. Doesn't seem to be the case, Southern is in shambles, NHS is going strongly and stably downhill, no new runway decision, pension pots are being pilfered by corporations left, right and center. No significant effort building more new homes has been made. Pound value is going to the toilet and there are no signs of efforts to contain it. Instead it's all being blamed on Brexit/EU
          3. I assume you have never had an involvement in points based immigration scheme and Government bureaucracy surrounding it. I would the highly praised skilled labor want to be involved in any of it when they can freely move to any other EU country? This is of course ignoring the fact that there is plenty need for unskilled/low skilled labor in construction/hospitality.
          4. Major corporation will likely keep selling to the UK, many smaller companies will find it uneconomical to involve themselves with managing customs clearing processes and will simply stop selling to the UK. For others the price hike will drive customers away so they will eventually quit bothering with all the tulip. So start looking forward cheap poorly regulated low quality/hazardous products from the likes of US and Africa as substitutes.
          5. With the EU elite, there is some form of "sanity" check from our own government and all the other countries. With the UK elite we are stuck with home grown lunatics with delusions of grandeur.
          1. Yep but the point is it's woven into case law, employment practice etc. I just don't see it changing much.
          2. Yep but if your depressing view is correct, this is happening whilst in the EU - I know services/housing etc have been under invested for years. The pound has been overvalued for a while, so you can argue it's a good things it's devalued.
          3. Skilled workers want to work here for many reasons. I've been involved in companies that have a wide range of workers from outside of the EU and people want to work here for many reasons.
          4. There are many barriers for small businesses within the EU, it suits the larger companies to have barriers and hoops to jump through, smaller businesses just can't compete. That's the downside of over regulation. I don't hold that suddenly cheap inferior imports will flood into the market, there are international standards that have to be adhered to. And in the end we can set our own standards, like many other developed countries.
          5. That's a delusion. The EU has 27 states with their own interests, which then on top of that has several levels of bureaucracy. Look at how Greece was handled by the EU, insanity!
          Last edited by woohoo; 4 September 2017, 11:07. Reason: Changed cheap imports, meant to say crappy inferior cheap imports.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
            hmmm. chlorinated chicken......
            beef with more hormones that NLYUK's last HRT.....
            inedible American candies......

insects... actually I'm looking forward to those.... as well as the extra fish we can't sell to the EU....

And if Rees-Mogg gets his way - Soylent Green.
            You could always buy British if it bothers you that much. Or, to put it another way, you'll be able to buy your contaminated food product of choice from anywhere in the world, not just the EU.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...-watchdog-says
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
              Number 5 for me. The UK political elite is a particularly rapacious bunch. The UK is ripe now for remodelling to fit with an Objectivist world view. There are going to be a lot of angry people when they realise whose Brexit this is.
              I'm not a fan of politicians in general and having watched a few select communities the level of intelligence on show from all parties has been pretty disheartening. But I don't think having more of these people is a good thing and I do believe, honestly that the EU is trying to move closer together with more powers centralized - it has to or it wont survive.

Comment

I'm not a fan of politicians in general and having watched a few select communities the level of intelligence on show from all parties has been pretty disheartening. But I don't think having more of these people is a good thing and I do believe, honestly that the EU is trying to move closer together with more powers centralized - it has to or it wont survive.
                Currently all Eurozone countries growing faster than the UK with low budget deficits, including Greece, so seem to be doing quite well without further integration. Plenty of countries using the dollar as their main currency without in any way having to be governed by the US.

At the end of the day the UK's is influenced by the EU regardless of whether it is a member or not. Leaving the EU is an illusion. As a history lesson, not being in the EU didn't help Britain much when WW II broke out. At the end of the day the EU's problems will be Britain's problems.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                  Currently all Eurozone countries growing faster than the UK with low budget deficits, including Greece, so seem to be doing quite well without further integration. Plenty of countries using the dollar as their main currency without in any way having to be governed by the US.

At the end of the day the UK's is influenced by the EU regardless of whether it is a member or not. Leaving the EU is an illusion. As a history lesson, not being in the EU didn't help Britain much when WW II broke out. At the end of the day the EU's problems will be Britain's problems.
                  BB you need read a bit more on the subject, I don't want to be rude because some interesting discussions have broken out in the mists of the usual General mickey taking.

Comment

Generally more layers are bad. But I rather like the post war European settlement of social democracy. It is not perfect by any means. The EU is broadly protective of this and the UK political and class elite is deeply hostile. If anyone believes that representative democracy gives the electorate a real opportunity to change this then they are naive.

Comment

BB you need read a bit more on the subject, I don't want to be rude because some interesting discussions have broken out in the mists of the usual General mickey taking.
                      absolutely :

UK falls to the bottom of the EU growth league

It is the UK that will suffer in Europe as a result of leaving it, not the other countries inside the EU. Virtually every economist is saying this.
                      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X