• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexit talks cannot succeed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    So currency fluctuations have resulted in it being nearly the same as in Jun 2011? Well before the referendum and EUgeddon started, lets forget every man & his dog is playing GBP down.

I must rush out and build the bunker in the back yard I'm sending Mrs V to buy baked beans!

Baked beans and bunkers make for unhappy bedfellows.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      Imagine courting trade deals with the rest of the world after ripping up a free trade deal with the largest trading block in the world after defaulting on the bill. Not a great advertisement is it? Of course the UK will pay and for this reason. The UK is in a very weak position here.

The world economy works because we agree to trade this for that. Not because we out smart the partner. We simply must trade with some EU countries just because our climate does not allow for the same produce back home, for example.

Why? Productively is nothing to do with worker volume, if that's what you're getting at.
      Productivity increases with competition.
      Noncompetitive industries that are protected by trade barriers like those found in the custom union don't have to be competitive to survive. Outside of the custom union they do have to be competitive.

The rest of your post is nonsense.
      Last edited by woohoo; 3 September 2017, 14:40.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
        Baked beans and bunkers make for unhappy bedfellows.
        I like the smell of my own farts.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
          Productivity increases with competition...
          Tell that to users of the rail network!
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I like the smell of my own farts.
            Then you should spend more time in a spacesuit.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Productivity increases with competition.
              Noncompetitive industries that are protected by trade barriers like those found in the custom union don't have to be competitive to survive. Outside of the custom union they do have to be competitive.

The rest of your post is nonsense.
              British companies will be competing at a disadvantage when exporting to the EU. So all the European companies will survive at the expense of British companies.

As Professor Minford says who is a Brexiteer. After Brexit there won't be much left of British manufacturing.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Tell that to users of the rail network!
                hah, that's true. But then there is an argument from some that it's impossible to have a private competitive rail network and for it to work well. It needs to be state funded (as an investment) to enable other business to thrive. I think there is some truth in this but my knowledge of railway is limited to a few articles and tv progs.

Comment

Imagine courting trade deals with the rest of the world after ripping up a free trade deal with the largest trading block in the world after defaulting on the bill. Not a great advertisement is it? Of course the UK will pay and for this reason. The UK is in a very weak position here.

The world economy works because we agree to trade this for that. Not because we out smart the partner. We simply must trade with some EU countries just because our climate does not allow for the same produce back home, for example.

Why? Productively is nothing to do with worker volume, if that's what you're getting at.
                  Productivity has everything to do with worker volume, to compete you can use cheap labour and keep your existing systems going or invest so productivity increases allowing staff numbers to be reduced with the remaining staff paid more..
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    British companies will be competing at a disadvantage when exporting to the EU. So all the European companies will survive at the expense of British companies.

As Professor Minford says who is a Brexiteer. After Brexit there won't be much left of British manufacturing.
                    Yep but if I've understood Pro Minford the people paying for this, the consumer (business and individuals) are subsidizing goods, so we pay a tax to enable company A to sell its products. We pay a tax because we stop company b in the US for example selling us the same product cheaper.

The idea if business is to thrive it needs to be dynamic more productive. If it can't survive in the outside world then it dies off.

I agree this is pretty tulip if you find you are out of a job but the idea is that industry and services that we excel at will thrive and those inefficient industries get better more productive. As a contractor I'm used to finding my own work and depending on myself but I agree others will struggle.

But this happens all over the place, years ago I took redundancy because the industry I was in was overtaken by offerings on the internet. The industry adapted and I moved on to bigger better things.

Comment

Then you should spend more time in a spacesuit.
                      I find a warm shower works just as well for radiating the smell.

Comment

Working...
                      X